Urban Design Commission postpones West Mifflin vote

The Madison Urban Design Commission further postponed the final vote on the 416, 420 and 424 W Mifflin St. apartment building proposal Wednesday.

The commission did not meet a consensus in part because of public outcry over the project from students, who said the proposed complex's height and size will disrupt the West Mifflin Street atmosphere.

""We just want to make sure students are able to love and enjoy West Mifflin Street for years to come,"" UW-Madison student Kate Robertson said.

Committee members suggested several renovations to give the complex more identifying features of the West Mifflin neighborhood.

Along with the project's size, most opposition from committee members came from the development's proposed fourth floor.

Developer Pat McCaughey set back the fourth floor 20 feet to make it less visible from the street, but people opposed to the project insist on a more generous setback.

""We want as much setback as possible,"" Robertson said. ""We really like to see an open atmosphere.""

Committee members said they are discontent with the building's porch design, insisting the proposal should adopt a more stoop-like characteristic to match the rest of the Mifflin neighborhood.

Committee members said they also disapproved of the elevator stair tower on the fourth floor.

""It sticks out like a sore thumb,"" Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said.

Supporter Rosemary Lee said the argument that the building is too tall for the neighborhood is irrelevant because of the Capital Centre and Ambassador apartment buildings already on the 400-500 block of West Mifflin.

""It's about time we get together and appreciate the financial risk developers are making downtown,"" Lee said.