Regents to hold emergency meeting Friday

The University of Wisconsin Board of Regents wrote a letter to Chancellor Biddy Martin Tuesday in which they declared her proposed split of UW-Madison from the UW System ""a radical departure from earlier statements about administrative flexibility and efficiency.""

The letter said the board supports Martin's New Badger Partnership as it has been presented to them, but said the separation of UW-Madison from the system was not included in presentations they saw.

Claiming they have been excluded from discussions about the possible split, the members stated their disagreement with the proposal.  

The board members said all UW System schools face the same economic crisis and they are concerned about the effects of the fragmentation of the UW system on other UW schools.

Martin forwarded the letter from the Board of Regents to the entire UW-Madison student body in an e-mail.

In the e-mail, Martin said she has advocated flexibility for the university for over a year and does not see the proposed split as a ""radical departure"" from previous conversations.

Martin will meet with the Board of Regents at an emergency meeting Friday to discuss the New Badger Partnership and the suggested split.