Wisconsin GOP chair Priebus to lead RNC

After several rounds of voting, Republican Party of Wisconsin Chairman Reince Priebus secured the 85 votes necessary to take over as Chairman of the Republican National Committee Friday, and promised to unify the party in the face of the upcoming 2012 presidential election.

""With the election over, now is the time for the committee to unite,"" Priebus said in his acceptance speech. ""We must come together for our common interest, for the betterment of our party and the country.""

Priebus thanked a slew of Wisconsin Republicans in his speech, including Gov. Scott Walker, U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wisconsin, and Congressmen Sean Duffy, R-Wisconsin, and Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin.

""We must recognize that the Democrats have taken this country on the wrong path, and it isn't going to be easy or glamorous, but together, we must lead the way to a better committee and a better America,"" he said.

Democratic Party of Wisconsin Chairman Mike Tate congratulated Priebus in a statement.

""I will miss our spirited—and civil —debates on the direction of our state and our nation,"" Tate said. ""And while of course we don't wish him luck, we do wish the first national party chairman from Wisconsin well in his new endeavor.""

Priebus's first significant change to the Committee after assuming the chairmanship was to fire the staff organizing the 2012 Republican National Convention.

""There are some changes that need to be made to ensure a successful convention. Those changes start today,"" Priebus said in a statement. ""I look forward to bringing on top-notch staff and planning a convention that all Republicans, especially our 2012 Presidential nominee, can be proud of.""