Spicy Vegetarian Coconut Curry

WITF: Keep it light with our spicy vegetarian coconut curry. A great way to add something new to your daily routine.

Spicy Vegetarian Coconut Curry

Vegetarian you say? But... I mean... how can...?

Fine, you can add meat if you want. Maybe a moist piece of pan-seared chicken, a perfectly grilled fillet of Sockeye salmon, or a tender slice of chili-marinated beef? I've tried all three, exploring with each a novel nuance of textures and flavors. But honestly, this curry doesn't need meat. It stands proudly on its own two, well, stems. A tribute to all that is delectable in the plant world, this mélange of fruits and vegetables, herbs, legumes and spices, unearths a complexity of flavors unmatched by even the tastiest morsel of au jus-steeped prime rib. And yet it's so unassuming, so surprisingly simple to prepare. You won't find any fancy French phrases in this recipe—no fricassees, no flambés, no brulées. Just add the ingredients, stir, and serve. Accompanied by a steaming bed of rice, and maybe a quick salad of mixed greens, this dish promises to lead you on a gustatory voyage across the globe - with stops in Tunisia, India and Thailand to name a few. And who knows, maybe upon return you will even consider forgoing meat once in a while. Not convinced? Give this curry a try!

Spicy Vegetarian Coconut Curry

1/2 red onion, minced

8 cloves garlic, minced

1 Serrano pepper, finely chopped

2 tbsp ginger paste

2 tbsp cilantro, chopped

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 tsp coriander

2 tsp cumin

1 tsp tumeric

2 tsp yellow curry

2 tsp Harissa (Tunisian chili        

paste)

2 tsp sugar

2 cans coconut milk

Juice of 2 limes

2 tbsp tomato sauce

1 16 ounce can chick peas

In a pan over medium heat, sauté (oops, French term) the onions, garlic, peppers and ginger paste in olive oil for one minute. Then, add the cilantro, Harissa, and the remainder of dry spices, and cook until the onions are tender.

Gently stir in the coconut milk, being sure to scrape all of the spices off of the bottom of the pan. Bring the curry to a boil and then add the lime juice, tomato sauce and chick peas. Since spices—especially curries, Harissa, and ginger paste—vary significantly in flavor from one brand to another, take the time to taste your concoction and adjust to your liking. Simmer for 10 minutes before serving.

Plate the curry over a heap of white rice, garnish with a sprig of cilantro and a lime wedge, and you're ready to set sail on your culinary adventure. See, I told you it'd be easy.