Mifflin proposal raises concerns

Mifflin residents debated the proposed 45-unit apartment building to be built on the lot of the old Planned Parenthood on West Mifflin Street Monday.

The plan proposes the addition of a new four-story building located at the addresses of 416, 420 and 424 W. Mifflin Street.

The lead developer on the project, Pat McCaughey of McCaughey Properties, addressed residents' concerns about the changing face of the historic neighborhood.

One UW-Madison student said he was concerned with the maintenance of West Mifflin Street's character. He said the proposed building did not fit the atmosphere for students and building the complex out of the college area would be better.

""There is always the dream that families will come in and fix the old houses,"" McCaughey said. ""People don't like change, but after it happens things go on and get better.""

Madison resident Peggy LeMahieu said she had hoped for something that blended better with the surrounding aesthetics of the neighborhood.

McCaughy said the developers are trying to improve the West Mifflin neighborhood.

""It's a college community––it is what it is,"" McCaughey said. ""Many of the houses need to be replaced and we're trying to do it in the right way.""

Architect John Bieno, of TJK Design Build, agreed with McCaughey.

""It's an underutilized piece of property,"" Bieno said. ""It's a great opportunity to bring a new bright building to Madison.""

Chair of the Mifflin West District Steering Committee at Capitol Neighborhoods Scott Kolar said the proposal is still a work in progress and not a done deal.

The site is approximately 17,300 square feet and would be located on two lots, which currently hold two structures. These structures, including the vacant Planned Parenthood, would be demolished.

The proposal also includes 24 underground parking stalls and has the ability to hold 60 bike or scooter parking stalls.

The Urban Design Commission, the Plan Commission and the city council must approve the project. The Plan Commission is set to hear the proposal Feb. 7.