Johnson hopes for repeal of health-care law

Less than a week after the U.S. House of Representatives voted to repeal the new health-care reform passed in 2010, U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., believes there is a chance the Senate may do the same.

On ""Upfront with Mike Gousha,"" Johnson said the chances that the Senate will repeal health- care reform are better than many people may think.

""My guess is if we actually held a vote, we might be surprised how many Democrats just might join the Republicans and vote for repeal,"" Johnson said on the show.

Johnson said that as more negative information is released about the bill, more Democrats, especially those up for re-election in 2012, will consider siding with the Republicans in a vote for repeal.  

Ever since he first entered the Senate race in April, Johnson has spoken out against Congressional Democrats' version of health-care reform. In the interview, he called the bill a ""total mess,"" saying it is expensive and lowers the quality of care.

Johnson said he does support certain parts of the bill, such as health insurance companies being unable to deny coverage because of a pre-existing condition, but wants to see a free-market-based solution to the country's health-care problems.

UW-Madison political science professor David Canon is not as optimistic for repeal as Johnson, saying that the bill has a ""fairly low chance of being passed in the Senate.""

""Even if it did pass, it wouldn't really matter because Obama would veto it, and there's no way [Republicans] have enough votes to override a veto,"" Canon said.

Canon said Democrats who are up for re-election in two years may be more likely to vote for repeal if they are from conservative or competitive states, but most would be reluctant to support complete repeal because there are many popular aspects of the bill.

""If I had to guess right now, I doubt that it will even come up for a vote,"" Canon said.