Governor's cuts today hurt state tomorrow

Miles Kellerman

Gov. Scott Walker has a problem with perception. Unlike other politicians, who might be living in the past or who are perhaps out of touch with reality, Walker is living almost exclusively in the present. He is, in fact, well adept at assessing the current political climate in order to make decisions and promises that resonate with voters. During the 2010 election he recognized a public distaste for Democratic leadership and a desperate need for jobs. Thus, he bashed wasteful spending and centered his campaign on conservative fiscal policy. His promise to create 250,000 jobs was completely unfounded and lacked any evidence or plan, yet it resonated with frustrated voters and got him elected. It was pure electoral bullshit, a promise that needed only vague explanation and one that would take years to prove or disprove.

But that's what our newly-elected governor does. He's a spin-doctor and an architect of truth. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing. A sly tongue and a hunch for understanding what the public wants to hear are invaluable personal traits. Winning a political campaign is essentially advertising a product, and Walker certainly knew how to sell that brown bag. The problem, however, is that these skills make for a good campaigner, not a good governor. And his actions of late have proven that he has yet to make the transition to the latter.

Let us start this strange and terrible journey with high-speed rail. Yes, we've beaten the subject to death, but it is a necessary piece of the puzzle. When the federal government offered Wisconsin $810 million to build a rail between Madison and Milwaukee, Walker recognized an opportunity to shut down ""wasteful spending."" He argued that the costs of upkeep diminished the potential gains, essentially turning down a free Lamborghini because he didn't want to pay for the gas. However, in light of his current campaign to lure businesses from Illinois, one might question the rail decision since infrastructure and transportation are one of the few areas in which Wisconsin can challenge Chi-town in terms of commercial advantages. But considering the potential gains of the future would contradict his style. He lives in the present, and turning down the rail was a politically positive step toward appeasing his fiscally conservative supporters and sticking to his campaign promises.

Let us now turn to energy. Walker recently mandated extreme restrictions on wind farm locations, vastly reducing available land for new construction. The move has collectively garnered criticism for not only increasing our dependency on foreign oil but also eliminating opportunities for employment. The new regulation seems in direct contradiction with his job-creating agenda and perhaps offers another glimpse of his inability to think progressively.

Adding to the confusion is his decision to stop the construction of a boiler at UW-Madison's Charter Street Power Plant that would allow it to burn plant-based fuels. Now, while the boiler's $100 million price tag is a legitimate burden, the plant's reconstruction will still cost $150 million without it. If we're going to spend so much money to reconstruct the power plant, why not make the extra investment in green energy? Not to mention this is yet another wasted opportunity for jobs in construction, logging, and farming according to the Sierra Club. But of course this would require insight into the future, something Gov. Walker is not a big fan of. Besides, any improvements on and around our campus may be wishful thinking; an attack on state funding for the UW system and stem-cell research are inevitably around the corner.

But perhaps no event better conveys Walker's limited perception than his current ""Open for Business"" slogan. In response to Illinois' massive tax hike in which the corporate tax rate was raised to 7 percent, Walker has put forth a substantial amount of effort to try and encourage businesses in Illinois to come to Wisconsin. The problem? Wisconsin's corporate tax rate is still 0.9 percent higher. And while the tax increase may inspire businesses to seek separate headquarters, it won't be to Wisconsin. Chicago-based Jimmy Johns, for example, a company I could fund entirely through my orders alone every week, is considering moving to Florida, where the tax rate sits at a low 5.5 percent.

But why not Wisconsin, the land of cheese and beer? Why should a company uproot and move its headquarters to Milwaukee or Madison despite that both our income and corporate taxes are still higher than Illinois? In order to answer that question Walker has introduced legislation to eliminate income taxes for new businesses for their first two years. Once again, it becomes so obvious how stuck in the present our governor currently is. Ah yes, two years of no income tax, an immediate pain to the state budget and a weak attempt to lure new business. In reality, most businesses won't move their families and headquarters to Wisconsin because of a temporary bonus. They're looking for long-term solutions, like lower income and corporate tax rates. They're looking for infrastructure, transportation and energy; items Walker has rejected since coming into office. And they're looking for a market of consumers and clients, an area in which neither Milwaukee nor Madison can possibly compete with Chicago.

Thus, Walker posts his signs along Wisconsin's southern border because advertising is his game. As he travels along the border he'll smile and wave to Illinois inviting businesses to leave the land of Cutler and enter Mr. Rodgers' neighborhood. The problem? The brown bag he's providing is weak at its bottom, threatening to break under the weight of his own disastrous decisions.

But then again, this is what we voted for. Walker made stupidity chic and substance overrated during the campaign, riding a frightening wave of misinformation and apathy right into the governor's mansion. There, wearing his Packers jersey and combing his almost picture-perfect hair, he sits upon his throne thinking only of today, for he has six long years to think about tomorrow.

Miles Kellerman is a sophomore majoring in political science. We welcome all feedback. Please send responses to opinion@dailycardinal.com.