What's in the Fridge: Sicilian Meatloaf

What's in the Fridge? Sicilian Meatloaf

What's in the Fridge: Sicilian Meatloaf

Snow? Is that snow I see?! You know, that wonderful alabaster fluff that replaces the miserable gray rain?  

Growing up a hardcore Wisconsinite, I've always anticipated the audacious arrival of Old Man Winter. Some may call me crazy, but four months of numbed noses, icicled eyelashes and frostbitten fingers never ceases to fill me with unbridled enthusiasm. Ok, so admittedly it's not the frigid temperatures nor the backbreaking shoveling that excites me about winter. However, the chance to warm up by the crackling fire, down a steaming mug of hot chocolate and enjoy a hearty, home-cooked meal with friends and family nears the top of my list of life's simple pleasures. With this in mind, I went to work this week on a traditional favorite: savory Sicilian Meatloaf.  Just as my grandma has done for decades, I whipped up a heap of hand-mashed garlic potatoes and a pan of brown sugar-glazed spaghetti squash to accompany this delectable dish. Served with a side of good company, this taste of home is sure to leave you well prepared for the holiday break—though who isn't already?

Sicilian Meatloaf:

2 eggs, beaten

1 cup soft bread, crumbled

1/2 cup V8

3 tbsp parsley, chopped

2 tsp dried oregano

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 lbs lean ground beef

8 thin slices smoked ham

2 cups mozzarella, shredded

3 slices mozzarella

1 can pizza sauce

Black pepper

Salt

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

10 medium baking potatoes, peeled

4 tbsp sour cream

4 tbsp butter

1 tbsp garlic powder

Black pepper

Salt

Brown Sugar-Glazed Spaghetti Squash

1 spaghetti squash

3 tbsp butter

1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar

Black pepper

Salt

Begin the meatloaf by combining the beef, eggs, bread, V8 and spices in a large mixing bowl. The easiest way I've found to do so is with my hands. Also, season with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper. When fully combined, spread the mixture on a large sheet of foil and form it into a 10 x 12 inch rectangle. Cover the rectangle with slices of smoked ham, and top with the shredded mozzarella.

To form the meatloaf, roll the rectangle lengthwise, lifting up on the edges of the foil to aid in the process. Seal the ends of the meatloaf and place it seam-down in a 9 x 13 inch glass baking pan. Place the meatloaf in an oven preheated to 350 F and bake for approximately 75 minutes.

In the meantime, prepare your garlic mashed potatoes and brown sugar-glazed spaghetti squash.

Quarter your peeled potatoes and place in a pot of salted, boiling water. Allow to boil until fork-tender, about 15-20 minutes. When done, drain the potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the sour cream, butter and garlic powder and mash thoroughly. Adjust the flavor to your preferences with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

For the spaghetti squash, slice it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, and place it flesh-side down on a microwave-safe plate with a little water. Microwave for approximately 12 minutes, or until soft. Scoop the flesh out of the skin and heap into a mixing bowl. Add butter and brown sugar, mix the squash and add salt and pepper to taste.

At this point, the meatloaf should be nearly done. At 60 minutes into baking, coat the meatloaf with pizza sauce, and return to the oven for another 15 minutes. Then, place the sliced mozzarella over top of the meatloaf and return to the oven until the cheese is melted.

When all three dishes are completed, plate up with chopped parsley as garnish. Top the meatloaf with a little extra pizza sauce, and you are ready to serve. Enjoy!