Top 20 albums of 2010

Kanye

Top 20 albums of 2010

Looks aside, after the great success of This Is Happening, it's hard to envision a better voice for our generation than Murphy's. At his simplest (""Drunk Girls""), Murphy provides a catchy, frat-house hit about partiers, for partiers. At his most dense (""You Wanted A Hit""), Murphy builds a modern anthem out of an electronic loop and argues he ""doesn't do hits"" all the while. And while Murphy meanders through electro-dance, guitar-punk and other styles, the album maintains an organic consistency.

If the uplifting chorus of the album closer, ""Home,"" sounds familiar, it should: it's practically a note-for-note reenactment of ""Dance Yrself Clean's"" opening chorus. Yet, this chorus sounds just as killer the second time around. Likewise, this album sounds just as awesome the 30th time around.

––Jon Mitchell     

2. Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest

Halcyon Digest is the album where everyone can stop talking about Bradford Cox and start talking about Deerhunter. The enigmatic songwriter Cox has spent more than six LP's dipping his toes in everything from hard-hitting kraut-rock to ethereal, meandering pop, to mostly successful results. But on last year's terrific Logos, Cox seemed to finally find his comfort zone by creating unhinged, jangly pop music using abstract, wispy textures for his solitary bedroom-pop outfit Atlas Sound. But on Halcyon Digest he has the force of a full band behind him, and the result is that much more visceral.

Deerhunter will tell you the album aims to detail the tragic way we edit our memories into digest versions that we can easily access and revisit later. But they don't use concise narratives or guiding lights to show you where your hippocampus falters. Instead, the most compelling moments are those where the listener gets lost, trapped inside a loop on ""Desire Lines"" or swept up by the aqueous percussion on ""Helicopter."" You get caught up in the tide of ""Revival,"" the breeze on ""Memory Boy"" or the subterranean tremors of ""Basement Scene,"" and you have no choice but to go back and see what you missed. And you will, over and over again, because there's no way to make a digest version of something as full as Halcyon Digest.

––Kyle Sparks

3. Titus Andronicus - The Monitor

Do you hate your hometown? Do you like getting drunk with your buddies? Do you still despise that girl who broke your heart? Of course you do. Hell, everyone does—these ideas have inspired rock songs for decades.

But what if, right before a band launches into yet another song about angst and loathing, we heard from Abraham Lincoln? And right after it, an excerpt from William Lloyd Garrrison's abolitionist newspaper The Liberator?

On The Monitor, Titus Andronicus takes the basic ideas behind any rock 'n' roll song––good times, rebellion, heartbreak, etc.––and turns them into a war.

Between soaring guitar riffs, earth-shaking drum beats and vocals that reek of desperation and hopelessness, Titus Andronicus weave their theme of the Civil War throughout The Monitor. And what that war was to the Union and Confederacy––a battle for one's very ideals and way of life––is what this war is to Titus Andronicus.

What they are fighting against is never entirely certain, but it's an epic struggle nonetheless. On The Monitor, hating New Jersey and getting drunk are not just ideas, they are the band's ammunition in this fight for their way of life. The result is an album that takes those classic themes of heartache and angst, and uses them to create a truly epic sound.

––Nico Savidge

4. Beach House - Teen Dream

Teen Dream, the third release from Beach House, is one of those rare albums that are immediately accessible. As its title suggests, its sound is dreamy and completely unique to the band. And by God, is it catchy.

But the genius of the album lies not in its inventive grasp of simplicity: Teen Dream is far more complex than that. Working behind the wonderfully elastic and layered intonations of sound that create a haze of precariousness and peculiarity only found in a dream, Victoria Legrand and Alex Scally speak deeply and philosophically about the human condition. They examine the mutiny of the individual over the course of time, and how one changes, permanently, with each new experience.

Also like a dream, their lyrics evoke reflective images of past personas, perhaps never more poignantly than on ""Used To Be."" Scally sings harmoniously above a rising crescendo of guitar pulses and drum beats, ""Don't forget the nights / When it all felt right / Are you not the same as you used to be."" And some advice for new listeners: do not get swept away by the dreaminess of Beach House's easygoing sound, for you will miss the brilliance of the album as a piece of art, and how well their memory-inducing lyrics match their ethereal melodies.

––Cole Wenzel 

5. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy 

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is essentially the ""Mona Lisa"" of Kanye West's career: it will be forever remembered as an album of impeccable quality in terms of its production, instrumentation, featured artists and overall intimate feeling. West's talent (and ego) shines through this album as he defies the norms of hip-hop, magnifying provocative beats and transforming his feelings into a strong and beautiful collection of songs.

What makes My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy so different and, more importantly, superior to West's other albums is that is sounds and feels exactly like a West album should, but the precise production and impeccable contributions makes it unlike anything he has previously produced.

Although this is his fifth release, Kanye sounds as fresh on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy as he did on ""Jesus Walks."" The sheer power of this album makes it one of the best of the year. Despite being a paradox, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy has created new opportunities in the world of hip-hop, and Kanye West is the one at the helm.

––Aimee Katz 

6. Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt

Tallest Man on Earth sounds too much like Bob Dylan. Kristian Matsson's sweeping guitar and fingerpicking are as mechanically profound as the best folk players were, and his weathered voice strains itself right to the point of evoking, well, you know who.

And like other legendary touchstones, what makes The Wild Hunt the high-water mark for contemporary folk singers is how natural Matsson makes everything sound and how detached he presents himself. The diminutive Swede spins narratives from the fertile dirt and blossoming foliage until they fulfill a life of their own. They're forces of nature much too grand for any one actor to wrangle, so Matsson lets them flow uninterrupted. All of 5' 7"", Matsson would need a sizable boost to dunk a basketball, but with a guitar in his hands he scales buildings and bounds over mountains with ease.

The Wild Hunt is more cosmopolitan than Tallest Man On Earth's previous offerings, showing depth of personality as much as description; but its vitality is still borne of nature's life-giving elements. Matsson croaks and moans, he strums and taps, and he writes songs that crumble vibrant landmarks to rivers of tears. It's entertaining, enlightening and intimate—it's Dylan-esque. So in a way all of his critics are spot-on: On The Wild Hunt, Tallest Man on Earth sounds an awful lot like the best folk songwriter in the world.

––Kyle Sparks

7. Javelin - No Más

It seems that anything David Byrne touches lately turns to gold, and it's no accident that two artists on this list, Javelin and Kings Go Forth, came from his record label Luaka Bop. Javelin's No Más builds on their debut Jamz n Jemz, and the two albums even share some of the same tracks.

It's difficult to place Javelin in a specific genre, but they wouldn't have it any other way. Sythpop tracks like ""Vibrationz"" and the Nintendo-inspired ""Oh Centra"" open the album with high energy. The instrumental ""Intervales Theme"" transitions the album toward samples of old-school hip-hop and soul. 

No Más borrows from Jamz n Jemz' original songs, and, in doing so, it loses some of the raw, do-it-yourself style Javelin was known for. ""Mossy Woodland,"" for example, was originally featured as an instrumental on Jamz n Jemz, but is poorly rehashed with lyrics on No Más. It's one of the only times this album drags.

Nonetheless, No Más is a definite success. A dynamic group whose live shows are usually complete with stacks of colored boomboxes to amplify their sound, Javelin has finally matched the quality of their live shows in the studio with No Más

––Margaret Raimann

8. The Black Keys - Brothers 

The Black Keys picked a good time to burst onto the blues-rock scene. After all, they entered the music world on a parallel trajectory with that other blues-rock duo from the shores of Lake Erie, The White Stripes (a band one bird-centric college newspaper deemed the musical act of the last decade). As such, the sub-genre has earned more attention than it ever had before since the release of the Black Keys' debut album The Big Come Up. But even after a decade of success, The Black Keys' latest effort, Brothers, showcases the band at new heights and proves they still deserve our utmost attention.

Brothers still features the same wailing electric guitar riffs and raspy blues vocals from vocalist Dan Auerbach that have become the Akron, Ohio duo's signature sound. But while Auerbach and drummer Patrick Carney apply the tried-and-true Black Keys formula, they hardly rest on their laurels. 

Any formula that produces top-flight songs like ""Tighten Up"" clearly doesn't need much tinkering. And when they do add a slight twist to the process, such as the ""Rock and Roll Part 2"" style beat of ""Howlin' for You,"" the result ends up being another quality track with some nostalgic zest. With Brothers, the Black Keys show us again what we already know: that they are pros and they are here to stay.

––Todd Stevens

9. Cee Lo Green - The Lady Killer

Following the massive success of his collaboration with Danger Mouse, Gnarls Barkley, Cee Lo Green returned to the studio to record his third solo album, The Lady Killer. Not your typical R&B or soul album, The Lady Killer journeys through the past decades sampling many musical stylings. 

The Lady Killer garnered much anticipation after the first single ""Fuck You!"" leaked months before the official release. ""Fuck You!"" brings the listener back to 1960s soul, a theme well represented in the official video. It's safe to say that most students have probably heard the song––or more likely, had it stuck in their head––a fair amount this semester. 

The rest of the album, which is not nearly as pop based as ""Fuck You!,"" is equally well produced. The second track, ""Bright Lights Bigger City"" boasts heavy dance beats contrasting background string and horn accompaniments. Other notable tracks include ""It's Okay"" and the aptly titled ""Old Fashioned,"" a slow love song juxtaposed with the rest of the album.

Although it differs greatly from his past solo releases, Green makes a strong return after his six-year stint working with Gnarles Barkley and other side projects. From the composition to the production, the vocals to the instrumental backings, The Lady Killer is an easy and surprisingly refreshing listen.

––Danny Marchewka

10. Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid

Few new artists are lucky enough to enter the music world to as much fanfare as Janelle Monáe. With her debut album The ArchAndroid, Monáe not only received mass critical praise, but praise from every corner of the industry. As odd as that may seem in regard to her sci-fi themed R&B album, The ArchAndroid's success lies not only in Monáe's obvious talent, but in her ability to appeal to virtually anybody.

The ArchAndroid encompasses a sprawling 17 tracks segueing from genre to genre, featuring a range of guest artists highlighted by Monáe's mentor, Big Boi. And the beauty of the album is that none of it feels out of place––standout track ""Dance or Die,"" featuring collaborator Saul Williams, feels just as at home as Kevin Barnes' contribution, ""Make the Bus."" And it's hard not to mention the pure hurricane that is ""Tightrope,"" complete with a verse from the aforementioned Big Boi. 

Monáe is able to weave in these guest artists just as nimbly as a seasoned veteran like Kanye West, all without subtracting from her solo efforts on the album, such as the big band influenced ""Come Alive (The War of the Roses)"" or the more pop-based ""Cold War."" Janelle Monáe doesn't have crossover apeal––she is crossover appeal.

––Todd Stevens

11. Caribou - Swim

12. Owen Pallett - Heartland

13. Local Natives - Gorilla Manor

14. Best Coast - Crazy For You

15. Los Campesinos! - Romance Is Boring 

16. Toro y Moi - Causers Of This

17. Kings Go Forth - The Outsiders Are Back

18. Wolf Parade - Expo 86

19. Four Tet - There Is Love In You

20. Surfer Blood - Astro Coast