Wis. Reps aim to return rail funds, alleviate national debt

U.S Reps. Jim Sensenbrenner, R-Wisconsin, Tom Petri, R-Wisconsin, and Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, introduced legislation Tuesday that would allow states, including Wisconsin, to return high-speed rail funds to the federal government.

""Instead of being told by bureaucrats in Washington how to allocate their resources, states need to have the flexibility and authority to prioritize how tax dollars are being spent,"" the three Republican congressmen said in a joint statement.

""We support Governor-elect Walker's effort to put the brakes on the high-speed rail budget boondoggle, which is why we introduced legislation, today, that would give states the ability to return federal funds obligated to high-speed rail projects, and instead use this money to reduce our nation's $1.6 trillion deficit and $13.8 trillion debt.""

Walker campaigned to stop the high-speed rail project and since his election has not changed his stance. He has already asked Gov. Jim Doyle to halt the project, which he agreed to do.

""Governor-elect Walker is pleased that these three leaders understand that the train between Milwaukee and Madison is dead,"" Walker's press secretary Cullen Werwie said.

Democratic Dane County Executive candidate Scott McDonell has been a strong proponent of the high-speed rail and said he thinks it would improve Wisconsin's transportation system and economy.

""I wish Governor Walker were more concerned with our economy and infrastructure than just saying ‘no' to anything proposed by a Democrat,"" McDonell said. ""If he were, he'd understand the rail corridor is actually good for our roads and bridges, as well as our larger economy.""

Walker also proposed last week that the funds be used toward repairing state roads instead. However, the funds must be used for a high-speed rail or returned to the federal government under the current law.

New York Governor-elect Andrew Cuomo has requested the funds for this project. However, the proposed bill would prevent any other state from receiving Wisconsin's high-speed rail funds.