Walker rejects high-speed rail, tries to keep funds for roads

Following through on his campaign promise, Governor-elect Scott Walker told the federal government Tuesday to stop investments for a high-speed line between Milwaukee and Madison. 

Walker has suggested over $800 million in funds allotted for the project be used for repairing state roads and highways. However, U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, a supporter of the project, informed Walker Monday that this plan is not a possibility.

""I would like to set the record straight: None of the money provided to Wisconsin may be used for road and highway projects, or anything other than high-speed rail,"" LaHood told Walker in a letter. ""We plan to engage in an orderly transition to wind down Wisconsin's project so that we do not waste taxpayers' money.""

Walker responded to LaHood by reiterating his stance on the project, saying high-speed rail projects are ""notorious for inefficiency and cost overruns."" He also outlined Wisconsin's specific transportation needs.

""I believe it is a grave mistake for the federal government to insist on building an unwanted passenger rail system at a time when our roads and bridges are literally crumbling,"" Walker said in a letter. ""Continuing responsible investments in our road infrastructure is a key to growing our economy and creating jobs.""

Gov. Jim Doyle halted the production of the high-speed rail line last week, saying Walker could make the final decisions on the project.

Doyle said in a statement he believes the project is important to the state and would create jobs, but that this decision to stop was necessary so that the state and the Department of Transportation can remain ""strong partners.""

New York Governor-elect Andrew Cuomo wrote to the U.S. DOT last week to request the funds for this project, since Wisconsin will have to return them to the federal government if they are not used.