UW welcomes high-octane Bulldogs to the Kohl Center

gudy: Senior goaltender Scott Gudmandson and the Badger defense faces a tough task this weekend. The top-ranked Bulldogs come to Madison, led by arguably the best scoring trio in college hockey.

Over the course of a hockey season there are going to be ups and downs. Usually, you can learn a lot more about a team by how they respond during a period of adversity, than how they react when things are going well. For the No.15 Wisconsin men's hockey team, last weekend against North Dakota was their worst performance of the season, and this weekend does not get any easier as the No.1 ranked Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs come to town this weekend.

With the top-ranked team coming to the Kohl Center, the Badgers look to make a statement to its fans, to the country, and to themselves after being swept at the hands of the Fighting Sioux last weekend.

""I would say the biggest statement is going to come from within our team, and within ourselves as players and seeing if we can comeback from our low last weekend,"" sophomore forward Craig Smith said.  ""We're trying to make a big step.""

""Anytime you're playing the number one team in the nation you get the chance to come out and make a statement, especially after last week"" senior forward Podge Turnbull said. ""We weren't happy with our efforts, but this weekend we'll see a different team out there for us.""

In Minnesota-Duluth the Badgers will face their toughest competition of the young season. The Bulldogs boast four of the WCHA's top ten scorers, including their prodigious top line of juniors Jack and Mike Connolly and senior Justin Fontaine.

The two Connollys are tied for the conference lead in points with 18 this season, and Fontaine sits at fourth with 16.

Wisconsin's defense will have to find a way to slow down that high-scoring top line if they want to have a chance of bringing down the Bulldogs.

""All three of them have really good individual skills,"" head coach Mike Eaves said. ""They play off of each other, which makes it very difficult to stop them. In order for us to try and limit them we have to play team defense. All the guys on the ice will have to work together to limit them.""

""They all have good vision on the ice, which attributes them as a line very well,"" Turnbull said. ""They're not afraid to move the puck. They're small, crafty skill guys and we need to put a body on them and stay on them tight.""

Senior goaltender Scott Gudmandson stressed the importance of staying out of the penalty box when playing against a line as offensively gifted as the Connolly-Connolly-Fontaine line, something that the Badgers have struggled with this season.

""They get a lot of points on the power play,"" Gudmandson said. ""They are three good players, and having seen them play the past few years I know they run a good power play so if we can limit the penalties that will really help us.""

Resilience is a key attribute for a hockey team. The best teams find ways to rise to the occasion when faced with adversity. This young Wisconsin team's resilience will be tested for the first time this weekend against a very talented Duluth team. How they are able to respond against the top-ranked team in the country will go a long way in showing the type of team the Badgers have this season.