Secondary Stepping up

brinkley

Secondary Stepping up

Junior running back John Clay's Big-Ten leading 13 touchdowns, the maturity of quarterback Scott Tolzien in his senior season, and the Badgers' talented and mammoth starting offensive line that averages 6-5 1/2, 320 pounds have kept Wisconsin followers' gaze fixed solely on the Wisconsin offense for most of the season.

With the possibility of John Clay being missing in action, nursing a slight MCL sprain, and the Wisconsin defense coming off a stellar performance against Purdue last week, there will likely be a shift in focus from the Badger offense to the Badger defense when the Indiana Hoosiers march into Camp Randall Stadium this Saturday at 11 a.m.

This shift in focus will also be attributable to the Hoosiers, who come into Week 11 with a passing offense that ranks far above the rest of the Big Ten in yards, amassing 302.8 per game; Michigan ranks second with just 262.4 passing yards per game. Such a powerful passing attack means the Badgers' secondary,  which has been highly scrutinized all season, will have to step up.

""It's going to boil down to our secondary,"" junior defensive back Aaron Henry said.

Wisconsin's secondary started the year slow but has improved every game, and now has the Badgers' defense ranked third in the Big Ten in passing yards allowed per game.

Indiana's senior quarterback Ben Chappell is an instrumental part of Indiana's successful passing attack.

""He's really good at staying in the pocket, taking that shot and putting his wide receivers in a great position to make plays,"" Henry said.

While Chappell is the Big Ten leader in yards per game this season, it is more due to a lack of balance in Indiana's playcalling than anything else. The Hoosiers sling the ball through the air an average of 42 times a game, ranking fourth in the nation, in comparison to just 29 rushing attempts per game.

""They will be throwing the ball a lot, giving us a lot of opportunities to get picks,"" senior linebacker Blake Sorensen said.

Not only will there be more opportunities for interceptions against a pass-heavy offense, but chances for sacks and fumbles increase as well. Last week, Wisconsin's defense had a coming out party in the second half, allowing just three points and nabbing three of Purdue's passes. Junior cornerback Antonio Fenelus, who was named Big Ten co-Defensive Player of the Week, recorded a fumble recovery, nine solo tackles and scored the Badger's first defensive touchdown of the season on a pick six.

""Turnovers were something we really stressed last week,"" Sorensen said. ""We're expecting the same thing this week.""

The Badgers must take advantage of these opportunities when they present themselves.

""We can't not be focused,"" Henry said. ""Any given play, especially with this high-powered offense, can go the distance. We can play 80 great plays and on the 81st play give up a touchdown.""

Wisconsin has shown they are capable of clamping down when necessary, as they are tied for second in the Big Ten with 148 first downs allowed. Yet, they have also shown vulnerability and, at times, have exhibited lapses in focus, as they have given up 10 pass plays of 30 or more yards, which ranks fourth in the Big Ten.

Wisconsin will need to retain a high level of concentration every play this week. Although the Hoosiers have dropped all five of their Big Ten games this year, increasing their losing streak to 10 straight Big Ten games and 13 road games, Indiana is better than the stats advertise.

""We know what they're capable of,"" Sorensen said. ""We kind of found that out the hard way last year, but I think this year we'll be ready for their attack.""

Indiana played Wisconsin down to the wire last year, as Chappell torched the Badgers for over 300 yards and three scores. The Badgers edged the Hoosiers by a measly three points, winning by a final score of 31-28.

The Hoosiers showed admirable perseverance again last week in a heartbreaking 18-13 loss to Iowa. Junior Damario Belcher, who ranks second in the Big Ten with 706 receiving yards, dropped a touchdown pass on fourth and 10 with 28 seconds remaining. ""It was right in the endzone; it was a killer. That could've put them on top to win the game,"" senior cornerback Niles Brinkley said.

While Indiana isn't Ohio State or Iowa as far as the college football universe is concerned, this contest remains a matchup of utmost importance.

""We can't just single out Indiana and say because of their record they're a lesser opponent. Every game is a big game,"" Brinkley said. ""One little mishap and we're back where we started.""  

Wisconsin supporters will be hoping that those little mishaps don't occur, and that the defense, especially the secondary, continues to be in top form so Wisconsin doesn't have to rely on a last-minute touchdown drop to seal a victory.