New campus fund postponed indefinitely

ASM CSF: Student Services Finance Committee Secretary Jason Smathers defended the proposed Campus Services Fund at Associated Students of Madison?s meeting Wednesday night.

New campus fund postponed indefinitely

Approximately 100 students expressed frustration with the proposed Campus Services Fund during open forum at the Associated Students of Madison's meeting Wednesday night.

Some students said ASM failed to reach out to General Student Services Fund groups when planning this fund, and think the CSF gives ASM too much power.

Student Services Finance Committee Chair Matthew Manes, who proposed the CSF, said all groups funded by the GSSF were contacted when the proposal was initially drafted, but they failed to respond.

ASM debated whether to postpone the CSF until after Jan. 25 in order to work on outreach, rather than immediately vote it down as many students who spoke at open forum recommended.

ASM representatives asked if two months would be enough time to do sufficient outreach, especially since winter break is in the middle of those two months.

Other representatives argued the student council should vote down the CSF immediately in order to prove to the students their voices were heard.

Shared Governance Chair Kyle VandenLangenberg said if they postponed the CSF they would be ignoring the students who came to speak at open forum.

""We're not listening to the people that have come in here and talked to us by even entertaining the idea that this motion has any blood or life left in it,"" he said.

ASM Chair Brandon Williams said the CSF gives ASM a specific purpose.

""It's pathetic how terrible this organization has been, and we have made no effort to improve ourselves. This is our opportunity to improve ourselves,"" Williams said.

The movement to postpone the amendment did not pass. Council ran out of time and no decision was made on whether or not to approve of the CSF.

The CSF will be further addressed at ASM's next meeting on Dec. 2.

Additionally, Tyler Junger was approved as ASM Legal Counsel. Representatives said he was the most qualified for the job.