California Senators request Wisconsin's rejected rail funds

U.S. Sens. Barbara Boxer, D-California, and Dianne Feinstein, D-California, wrote to U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood Tuesday requesting federal high-speed rail funds rejected by other states, such as Wisconsin.

""It has come to our attention that several states plan to cancel their high-speed rail projects,"" the senators said in the letter. ""We ask that you withdraw the Federal grants to these states and award the funds to states that have made a strong financial commitment to these very important infrastructure projects.""

Although Governor-elect Scott Walker has asked to divert the $810 million in federal funding the state was granted to roads and other projects, LaHood said in a letter to Walker the funding cannot be used for anything but high-speed rail and will go to another state if Wisconsin rejects it.

The California senators said in their letter they are well- positioned to make use of the funding, as voters have already approved using $9 billion in bonds for high-speed rail and the initiative has bipartisan support.

""Awarding our state's plan with these funds would have the greatest and most immediate impact in advancing the kind of high-speed rail system envisioned by both California and the Obama Administration,"" the letter said.

California has already been granted about $900 million in federal funding for their own high-speed rail project.

New York Governor-elect Andrew Cuomo also previously requested the funding states like Wisconsin and Ohio may choose to reject.