Young goalies learning on the fly for No. 1 UW

goalie: Freshman goalie Alex Rigsby has split time in net this season with sophomore Becca Ruegsegger. The two combined to allow jsut one goal before last weekend's tough series against Ohio State.

For freshman goaltender Alex Rigsby, her top competition has been one of her most important mentors as she adjusts to college hockey.

Rigsby, a highly touted recruit who became the first woman in the United States Hockey League when the Chicago Steel drafted her in 2009, has split starts with sophomore Becca Ruegsegger this weekend. But while the competition between the two of them is there, Rigsby said Ruegsegger has helped her get used to playing at the collegiate level.  

""She's awesome,"" Rigsby said of Ruegsegger. ""She's so supportive and if you have any questions you can go to her and she helps you out so much.""

According to Ruegsegger, the friendly competition between her and Rigsby helps make both of them better, since they know there is another strong goalie right behind them.

""It's always good to have competition,"" Ruegsegger said. ""It's fun because we both challenge each other but we also support each other at the same time.""

So far this year the two goaltenders have traded starts in a pattern resembling the one Ruegsegger experienced in her freshman year, splitting games with Alannah McCready, who graduated last spring. With a full year of experience at the collegiate level behind her, Ruegsegger said she is more patient and knows what to expect from teams in a tough WCHA.

""It's good to know who your opponents are,"" she said. ""You've played them before so you kind of know what to expect.""

With three starts apiece, Ruegsegger has a .950 save percentage and has averaged less than one goal against per game while Rigsby's goals against average is almost two and her save percentage is .860.

Those more pedestrian numbers were the result of a tough game against Ohio State Oct. 22, when Rigsby gave up five goals, including a game-tying score with a minute to go in regulation. The Badgers went on to win in overtime, but Rigsby said she saw plenty to improve on in her performance and has worked to do so in practice.

Head coach Mark Johnson said facing that kind of adversity helps the team as a whole get better.

""If you don't have any of those bumps or hurdles or situations where you're challenged you don't strengthen [yourself],"" Johnson said. ""By going through them and learning and understanding how to push yourself through, you become a stronger team.""

Although Ruegsegger and Rigsby have been strong in net, Wisconsin's offense has generated most of the headlines so far this season thanks to the fact that it averages better than five goals per game. Johnson said that strength on offense can help the team's goalies improve, since Ruegsegger and Rigsby have to face some of the top forwards in the country each week in practice.

""They're getting quality reps in practice when you have those kids shooting at you,"" Johnson said. ""You're going to get better because of the people you're practicing with.""