Upcoming referenda important in election

Lydia Statz

Though you wouldn't know it from the media coverage of this election, there is more at stake tomorrow than seats in government office. Hitting closer to home, a few local referenda deserve attention before heading to the polls tomorrow. Though only two questions will appear on the ballot in Madison, they hit on key issues that should resonate with many college students.

I'll explain my opinions on these referenda here, but please, read up on these subjects and get out and vote tomorrow, no matter which way your opinions sway.

The first concerns a topic that hasn't seriously been talked about in Wisconsin until now. Voters in Dane County will have the first chance to sound off on the issue of legalizing medical marijuana tomorrow. The question, ""Should the Wisconsin Legislature enact legislation allowing residents with debilitating medical conditions to acquire and possess marijuana for medical purposes if supported by their physician?"" is the first marijuana referendum to successfully reach the people. The measure is not binding in any regard, but a strong showing either way will help advise the legislature and next governor on the people's opinion of the issue.

For anyone who's read my previous columns, it should be pretty obvious that I will be wholeheartedly voting ""Yes."" Admittedly, I would much prefer a referendum that has any potential to change the current laws, but any vote on the issue is a step toward full marijuana decriminalization. Plus, if the predictions are true, the question could pass by a wide margin, showing the state government that this is an issue the people are passionate about—prompting action. So, please, don't let the apparent wishy-washy nature of this referendum keep you from the polls. Your vote on this issue will definitely ""mean"" something even if it doesn't actually ""do"" anything.

Second, a more definitive referendum asks voters to foot the bill for planned expansions, building renovations, and overall improvements to Madison Area Technical College—all to the tune of $134 million. That's a huge amount to push onto taxpayers, but considering the proposed payment structure, it seems a small price to pay for the certain benefits the plans will bring. The tax, spread over twenty years, will raise property taxes by an average of $33.10 for Madison area households.

Though I sometimes feel uncomfortable advocating a raise in taxes I don't pay, the benefits the community will acquire from improving the technical college system are obvious. More and more students are turning to MATC as four-year schools become more expensive. At the same time, the economy demands a higher education level to compete, so it's only fair to invest just as highly in the education of MATC students as that of Wisconsin Badgers.

But MATC doesn't only serve traditional college students. It is a priceless resource for mid-career adults looking to boost their resume marketability. It also provides many communities in the area with education options, whether it's a high school student looking for a CNA certification or a retiree taking up painting as a hobby. There's no doubt in my mind that the MATC expansion will offer a huge return on the initial investment.

Though it is slated for other voting districts around the county, a slightly more controversial question will not appear on Madison ballots. This referendum asks citizens whether they would support a half-cent sales tax increase to support an expansion of Dane County public transportation. Supporters of increasing public transportation in the county have proposed expanding the current bus system to connect outlying communities, as well as constructing a light rail system between Middleton and Sun Prairie.

Several communities chose not to include this question on their fall ballot, Madison included—pointing to just how controversial this plan has been thus far. Opponents to the measure are hoping a resounding ""No"" vote will stop the plan in its tracks, though the finalized proposal won't be put to a vote until April.

This whole issue asks the question, ""What exactly are we voting on anyway?"" Truthfully, nobody knows. The official proposal isn't even finalized yet, so the current ballot question is a vague, overbroad summary that won't bring an accurate picture of the public's support. Wanting public input is a great step toward government transparency, but it just doesn't make any sense at this stage in the game.

Though they don't have as much excitement as the Johnson-Feingold fist fight, the outcome of these local matters could significantly impact our community now and for future generations. So please, consider these issues carefully, and when you head to the polls tomorrow remember that you could be deciding more than just who sits in the Capitol for the next four years.

Lydia Statz is a junior majoring in journalism and international studies. Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.