Religion on campus: Being Mormon at UW-Madison

Being Mormon at UW-Madison poses challenges, yet grants opportunities for Mormon students to strengthen their faith.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints' doctrine strictly prohibits sex, drugs and alcohol.  At a school with a prevalent party culture, Mormon students at UW-Madison face an environment counter to their religious teachings.

Lisa Chang, a UW-Madison freshman and life-long member of the Mormon Church, said abstaining from drinking inhibits her ability to meet people on campus.

""I think it is because I don't drink or party that it's so much harder for me to find friends, because that's where you meet people here,"" she said.

Chang said attending a public school with a heavy party scene, instead of a Mormon affiliated school, challenges and strengthens her faith.

""I think it enhances your faith because you really have to believe in it to stop yourself,"" Chang said.  ""My sister goes to BYU-Idaho where everyone believes in the same thing and does the same thing, but this doesn't force them to think higher.""

Gregor Nigh, Bishop of the University Singles Ward in Madison, a congregation for the approximately 12 single Mormon students on campus, said the challenges of attending UW-Madison provide a testing point.

""I think it forces our members to make a choice whether to stay in the church or not,"" said Nigh.

The University Singles Ward holds get-togethers for students to provide Mormons with a social outlet that supports their standards.

Devin Averett, a Mormon BYU undergraduate student and UW-Madison graduate student, said he bases the way he dresses on the merits of his faith.

""I try to keep myself clean cut.  I don't wear anything extreme,"" Averett said.  ""I don't have tattoos or piercings that alter the body.  I don't do anything to draw attention to myself.""

At age 19, Mormon men are eligible to serve a proselytizing mission for the church, and Mormon women are eligible at age 21. Men serve for 24 months, while women serve for 18 months.  Missionaries are sent to various cities throughout the world.

No female Mormon students at UW-Madison have served missions.  However, all of the male Mormon students have returned from their missions.