As baseball season comes to a close, MVP races heat up

Ryan Evans

Coming down the stretch of this year's Major League Baseball season, we are watching some great races as teams battle for the opportunity to be the last one standing after October.   

However, some of the year's most interesting races may take place in the race for the most valuable player awards in each league.

In the National League, it looks to be a three-headed race between St. Louis' Albert Pujols, Cincinnati's Joey Votto and Colorado's Carlos Gonzalez. While in the American League, Texas' Josh Hamilton, Detroit's Miguel Cabrera and the Yankees' Robinson Cano are battling it out for the award.

Each of these players has had a season to remember, which is sure to make voting difficult for the Baseball Writers of America when it comes time to determine the winner.

Seeing as I do not have a vote in these proceedings (yet), the best I can do is offer my opinions on which players I think should win the awards.

I'll start in the NL with Pujols, who has once again put together one of the monster seasons that he makes look routine year after year. Currently, he boasts a .312 average to go along with 41 home runs and 113 runs batted in—numbers that are certainly worthy of MVP consideration.

However, the problem with Pujols' candidacy is not about his numbers—it's the performance of his team this season. The Cardinals currently sit 6.5 games behind the Cincinnati Reds in the NL Central and 7.5 back in the wild card race.  

It has always been my opinion that, unless some player has an absolutely amazing season statistically, the MVP shouldn't go to a player who didn't get his team to the playoffs. I mean, how valuable can a player really be if he's playing golf in October when other candidates are trying to deliver their team a title?  

This same logic applies to Rockies' outfielder Carlos Gonzalez. ""Car-Go"" has put up numbers this year that are something you would expect out of a Playstation game: a .342 average, 33 home runs and 114 RBI's.

My opinion on Gonzalez's candidacy could quickly change if the Rockies complete their recent run to the top of the NL wild-card standings. If that happens, then there is no doubt in my mind that he is the NL MVP.

But until that happens, my pick is Cincinnati first baseman Joey Votto.

The Reds seemingly haven't competed for a playoff spot since Joe Morgan was still actually playing, and not just talking about it in the ESPN booth.

I love a good turnaround story, and Votto has turned the Reds around by slugging to the tune of a .323 AVG, 36 HR and 108 RBI this year. Playing gold glove-caliber defense at first base this year, he put the Reds well out in front in the NL Central and gave them legitimate hope in October for the first time in 20 years.

In the American League, the race is a bit murkier, with the candidates a little less defined.

First off, you have Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano, who is one of my favorite players to watch in all of baseball. This season, he has finally put together all of the talent that scouts have been raving about since his arrival in the majors.

His stat line is impressive: a .317 AVG, 28 HRs and 104 RBI, and his Yankees are well on their way to yet another postseason appearance. However, I only see one thing working against him: the lineup he plays in. In a lineup riddled with all-stars, voters are going to argue he has never had to carry his team like the other candidates.

In Detroit, Miguel Cabrera has done just that. His .329/37/124 line is the only reason the Tigers are even a little bit relevant.  But with Detroit finishing 13 games back of the division champion Minnesota Twins, I have to disregard Cabrera as a candidate for the same reason as Pujols— how valuable are you if you can't get your team to the playoffs?

The Texas Rangers are going to play in October, and that's largely because of the work outfielder Josh Hamilton has done this year. He's mashed this year to a line of .361/31/97, all while missing most of this month with a rib injury.

Hamilton is the most vital player to Texas's lineup and has carried the Rangers on his back this year, making them a very real threat come playoff time; and that is why he is my pick for the American League MVP this season.

Think Craig Counsell actually deserves the MVP? E-mail Ryan at rmevans2@wisc.edu.