Board of Regents to vote on tuition increase

The University of Wisconsin Board of Regents will vote on a proposed increase of 5.5. percent tuition increase in 2010-2011 for their 13 four-year universities on Thursday.

Combining the proposed increase with the already approved Madison Initiative for Undergraduates, tuition at UW-Madison would rise by 8.7 percent. It would rise by $638 for a total annual cost of $7,933.

Even with both increases, UW-Madison tuition would remain the second lowest in the Big 10.

This is the fourth consecutive year that Reilly has proposed a 5.5% tuition increase.

Students who come from families that earn less than the state median income ($60,000) would be eligible to apply for special grants out of the $8 million that the UW System would provide to offset the increases.

UW System President Kevin Reilly believes the tuition increase is reasonable.

""In the face of major financial challenges, we have successfully avoided double-digit tuition increases, across-the-board enrollment caps, and other drastic measures. At the same time, we've preserved affordable access to a high-quality college education, as well as the university's ability to engage in world-class research,"" said Reilly in a statement.