Keep access to 911 calls open to the news media

Qi Gu

Last week, the state assembly passed a bill banning the release of 911 call recordings. If it goes on to gain the Senate's approval, Wisconsin could become the fifth state exempting audio of 911 tapes from the public records, following Missouri, Pennsylvania, Wyoming, and Rhode Island. Even though the new measure is backed by families of the victims, who are the most relevant party in cases of emergency, public rights to access these records should not be abridged.

Currently, individuals and media can request and receive a copy of the tapes, unless otherwise specified by law or a ""balancing test"" decides that public interest in withholding the recordings outweighs that in releasing them. Under Assembly Bill 612, the public could only request transcripts of the 911 calls and listen to the audio without copying it. This means television and radio stations would not be able to air these tapes.

Supporters for the measure say that victims' families should not be traumatized twice. The drama of portraying a person at his or her breaking point could add to the grief of their loved ones. Media outlets playing the tapes are thus criticized for sensationalizing a story and exploiting personal sufferings.

As a journalism student, I have to admit that sensationalism can be tempting to the news media. But in the case of 911 recordings, the media's aim travels far beyond shocking headlines and high-pitched debates. Granted, the transcripts already carry the basic facts about what happened. But these bare bones, especially when serious offenses are involved, hardly present a complete picture. The transcripts only record the verbal messages exchanged over the phone How about the sounds in the background? How about variations in the caller's voice? Neglecting these recordings compromises the accuracy of news reporting.

Precise stories on the happenings could better assist the public in checking on the work of government officials. The audio of an emergency call is not only a matter that interests the public, but more importantly, a matter of public interest. People are entitled to know how effective their own public servants could address their concerns and protect their rights. If a weakness is detected, it can be closed in the most timely way because so many people are watching the process. In the Brittany Zimmermann case in 2008, a 911 dispatcher failed to follow up on the emergency by notifying the police and returning the call. Recently, Jordan Gonnering, Zimmermann's fiancé was reported as saying the Dane County 911 Center has made solid progress toward fixing their problems. Without coverage of the audio recordings and the resulting active public involvement in this case, the mistake probably wouldn't have been detected. Plus, an emergency call could not only reveal the efficiency of the 911 communication centers, but also check on the coordination between different emergency management agencies, such as the police and the fire department.

Even in individual cases, release of 911 audio could potentially help the family. The accuracy of a tape generally motivates more of the public to take action. As of March 17 this year, the Zimmermann family had collected $15,000 in reward funds, part of which comes from generous donations, according to a UW-Madison press release. Meanwhile, the family said that the local community has been actively offering clues, even if many of them don't help much with the case. I wonder whether a transcript could have the same impact.

Next to every family hoping to close the records, there might be another one expecting to keep them open for the sake of public awareness. Even the Zimmermann family didn't seem to object to the release of the audio at the beginning. It was only when the investigation became stagnant while the tape remained periodically on air that the frustration kicked in.

Access to 911 audio recordings has been part of people's rights and always should be. Concerns about potential victimization are understandable, but the current law has already specified relevant precautions, enabling more flexibility in dealing with individual cases. Releasing the tapes would benefit the public in the long run, when a more efficient government is assisting its citizens.

Qi Gu is a junior majoring in journalism. We welcome all feedback. Please send all responses to opinion@dailycardinal.com.