UW's two seniors go out with a victory

Hughes: Senior guard Trevon Hughes scored 15 points, shooting 5-of-14 from the field in the final home game of his Badger career.

UW's two seniors go out with a victory

In their last game at the Kohl Center senior guards Jason Bohannon and Trevon Hughes said farewell the only way they know how: with style.

Bohannon and Hughes hit back-to-back shots to open a game-long celebration of their Badger careers and finished the game on pace to become the highest scoring backcourt in Wisconsin history.

Hughes finished with 15 points on 5-of-14 shooting and Bohannon added 11 on 5-of-8 and also grabbed a career-high nine rebounds. Both became members of Wisconsin's 1,000-point club this season and, depending on how the rest of the season plays out, they have a chance to become two of the most winningest basketball players at the university.

""If I was a director I couldn't write a better script for tonight,"" Hughes said. ""Our team came out firing, [the way] the two teams opened up the game, and especially with [Bohannon]. The very first possession once he touched it I knew it was going to be a good night.""

If it was not clear by how they interact on the floor, Hughes and Bohannon share a unique bond. They were roommates in the dorms freshman year, which brought them closer together socially and helped form the chemistry on the court that gave them the opportunity to grow into such an impressive duo. It is only fitting that they also got to share all of the achievements they've accomplished with the team these past four years.

""Just think about two guys going over 1,000 points in the same year, playing on NCAA tournament teams, conference championship teams, conference tournament champion teams,"" head coach Bo Ryan said of his two departing seniors. ""That's pretty exciting. There are a lot of people who would like to be Jason Bohannon and Trevon Hughes. I would.""

Both Hughes and Bohannon also shared the night with their families. Hughes' mom got the chance to see her son play at the Kohl Center for the first time since he played in the Wisconsin state high school tournament. And because Hughes' team didn't win the title back then, he was glad his mom got to see him lead the Badgers to a victory.

Sometimes it's funny how things work out and in what Bohannon called a ""cool situation,"" he got to finish his career at the Kohl Center against his home-state team in front of his dad, the quarterback of Iowa's 1982 Rose Bowl team, and his mom.

The most difficult part of the night for Hughes, Bohannon and their families was not winning the game, but trying to hold back the tears.

""It's very tough,"" Hughes said of the emotions. ""You just have to suck it up sometimes or sometimes let it go. There's nothing wrong with shedding a tear. The emotion did play a role in the tonight's game and I think that's the energy we need to come out and play with in every game.""

The performances by Hughes and Bohannon were special, but in his fourth game back from a wrist injury a junior forward took over some of the spotlight. Consider it a passing of the torch to the Orono, Minn. native as it will be his team next year without Hughes and Bohannon. The heir-apparent to the Wisconsin leadership throne, scored 10 straight points, thanks to assists from both Bohannon and Hughes, in an 18-0 run and left no doubts that he is back to full form.