McGee hit up Madison

Umphey's McGee: Umphrey?s McGee is in town tonight, putting on a show at the Orpheum Theatre. Although the band hails from Chicago, they are no strangers to Madison, having played somewhere between 40 and 50 shows here before.

McGee hit up Madison

Umphrey's McGee is a Chicago-based band known for their energetic live shows and impressive improvisation. Since their formation in 1997, they have kept a busy touring schedule, playing over a hundred shows each year. Long sets, stage banter and excellent lighting are some of the things that make an Umphrey's McGee concert great. But it is their keen musical sense and cohesion that will make tonight's concert at the Orpheum a must-see.

In January 2009, their most recent album, Mantis, was released to critical acclaim and fan approval. This album is unique because, for the first time, Umphrey's McGee did not play any of the songs on the album live before  recording them in the studio. Featuring 10 songs with varying energy and style, Mantis gives the band a great sense of pride and accomplishment.

""We tried to create a prog-rock masterpiece with [Mantis]. We spent three years in-studio before we played these songs [live]. We really tried to fine-tune everything and make a collection of songs that work together,"" Joel Cummins, keyboardist for Umphrey's McGee, said.

Incorporating new music has failed some bands in the past, but the songs on Mantis have worked out well.

""Now that the albums been out, everyone knows the songs... it feels like they aged well,"" Cummins said.

While discussing what songs work best live, Cummins mentioned his favorite song to play in concert.

""I always love ‘Cemetery Walk II.' Being a keyboard song, that was one of the songs I brought to the table. And being able to make a 7/8 meter dance party is not something a lot of bands out there are doing,"" he said.

Their music is both well-crafted and highly energetic, a perfect combination for a band that plays venues ranging from the Orpheum to Alpine Valley.

Umphrey's McGee love to bring energy and music to the stage. When they come to Madison, they expect a good time based on their experience playing 40 to 50 shows in Madison before.

""Our relationship with our fans in Madison is that we know Madison likes to rage, so we like to bring it,"" Cummins said. ""Whenever we're playing in the Midwest we get a great crowd, 99-percent of the time. Madison embodies that for me, and it's just useful energy and people are totally amped to be there.""

Their high-energy concerts feature mainly original songs, accented by impressive, virtuosic, riff-based jams. Listening to ""Mantis,"" the album's title track, takes the listener through different moods with brilliant improvised melodies acting as transitions. 

Another exciting feature of an Umphrey McGee's concert is their covers.

""We get e-mails every week with five to six cover suggestions from fans,"" Cummins said.

Their treatment of covers reflects their relationship with their fans. They always bring their best, because they love their fans and want them to have a good time.

""[Covering songs is] one of those things that is a lot of fun for us and we have a great time doing. And that element of surprise of what direction of the cover we're going to do... makes it fun for the fans,"" Cummins said.

While discussing his band's music, Cummins implied that music is important, not only to him, but to everyone. When Umprhey's McGee is giving a concert, Cummins wants the crowd to have a good time.

""Our music is meant to let people come out and have a great time with their friends. If they're having a rough time with something, it can help them with that and take them to a place that only good can take them to, which gives them a few hours of euphoria. Live music does it best,"" Cummins said.

From their beginnings at Notre Dame University to their most recent endeavor recording Mantis, Umphrey's McGee have been evolving and improving as a band. Because of their friendship and love of music, their music has never become stale, and their shows have always been entertaining.

Although he was not willing to say if any surprises would occur at tonight's concert, Cummins did reveal something.

""I guarantee if you come to our show tomorrow night you will leave with a smile on your face and say ‘that was a good fucking time'.""

Umphrey's McGee will be playing at the Orpheum Theatre tonight (Thursday) at 7:30 p.m. Tickets cost $25 and are still available.