Republicans say rail line may cost taxpayers in future

Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker

Republicans across Wisconsin are questioning the additional costs associated with accepting more than $800 million in federal funding for a high-speed rail line.

The state Joint Finance Committee is scheduled Tuesday to discuss the federal funding that aims to connect Madison to Milwaukee and Chicago with a high-speed train. Future funds may also be tapped to extend the rail line from Madison to the Twin Cities.

Republican gubernatorial candidate and Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker said the funding, which comes from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, will not cover operational costs and maintenance.

""If a rail line can pay for itself that's great, but what I'm most concerned about are the additional building and operating costs once the federal money runs out, that will be passed down to taxpayers,"" he said in a statement.

According to Jim Bender, spokesperson for state Rep. Jeff Fitzgerald, R-Horicon, operating subsidy costs could total $7.5 million annually and would not be covered by ARRA funding.

Kristin Ruesch, communications director for the Republican Party of Wisconsin, said Walker's biggest issue with the funding is that taxpayers may be left to pay for rail line upkeep. She said she hopes Democratic members of the JFC will consider how the rail line may affect taxpayers.

""You would hope that Democrats would share the concerns that Republicans have on behalf of their constituents,"" she said.

Adam Collins, spokesperson for Gov. Jim Doyle, said the Republican's stance is an instance of partisan politics getting in the way of an economic advancement opportunity.

""Trying to insert petty politics into a project that stands to boost the economy for generations is shortsighted and backwards,"" he said.

Democrats say they expect that, even with contention over the money, the JFC will still approve the grant.

John Anderson, spokesperson for JFC co-chair state Sen. Mark Miller, D-Monona, said there are 16 people on the committee and nine votes are needed to approve the request.

""If we don't spend it then the money will go to another state,"" Anderson said. ""It's a huge opportunity for the state and for economic development.""

Hannah Furfaro contributed to this article.