City officials raise parking fines, discuss Mendota Ct. apartments

Madison Common Council members voted to increase parking fines Tuesday in addition to discussing a possible new apartment building on Mendota Court.

The project would involve the demolition of two Mendota Court apartment buildings to allow construction of a twenty eight-unit apartment building.

The debate surrounding construction of the building focused on two main issues: the starting date of construction, and the lack of available parking surrounding the building.

Many residents worry that a summer start date would mean an increased amount of dust and congestion that would prevent them from being able to open their windows during the day.

Residents said they would prefer an autumn start date. 

Bill White, one of the principle planners for the construction of the Mendota Court apartment building, claims that in the long run, an autumn start date would be worse for the residents of Mendota Court because the construction would be difficult to finish in the winter months.

Many residents of Mendota Court also worry about the availability of parking for the new building because it is such a densely populated area.

White reassured residents they would not be forced to sign away their ability to have a car when they sign their lease.

""If they want to rent a space offsite, that's their business,"" he said.

An additional discussion occurred at the meeting regarding increased penalties for parking violations within Madison.

Ald. Bridget Maniaci, District 2, claimed higher penalties for parking violations are not a plausible option, and higher fees will cause a vicious circle.

The Committee voted in favor of increasing the penalty ranges for various parking violations.