Assembly concludes special session, MPS bill may be dead

The state Assembly's special session came to a close Thursday without resolving the continuing debate about education reform and the potential mayoral takeover of the Milwaukee Public School system.

Gov. Jim Doyle called for the special session last December in the hopes of making Wisconsin more competitive in the federally funded Race to the Top program. The state education reform bill would give the Milwaukee mayor the power to appoint a superintendent.

After the Assembly adjourned the special session, however, opponents of the bill say the bill is likely dead. 

""Now that the takeover discussion is behind us, we can get on to talking about real reforms for MPS,"" state Rep. Christine Sinicki, D-Milwaukee, said in a statement.

Although the legislation faced opposition within the Democratic Party from the beginning, state Rep. Pedro Colon, D-Milwaukee, said Milwaukee cannot afford to continue doing the ""same things over and over.""

""The fight for MPS governance reform is not over … I urge my colleagues in the Assembly to stop heading for the hills on MPS reform and address our children's future this session,"" he said in a statement.

Adam Collins, Doyle's spokesperson, said there is a chance the legislation could move forward.

""There's still strong legislative support in Milwaukee. Four out of five Democratic senators support [the bill for mayoral control]. Mayor Tom Barrett supports the measure,"" he said.

In his State of the State Address last week, Doyle asked lawmakers to put partisanship aside and to stop ""playing political games."" Collins said despite the end of the special session, Doyle will continue to focus on education policy during his final year in office.

""We're working to improve education for all kids in Milwaukee. Right now that's one of our focuses, so we're going to continue to work on this legislation,"" Collins said.