Local eateries cut prices for weeklong event

If you've ever wanted to try a fancier restaurant for a date or a night out with friends but couldn't because they were too expensive, now's your chance. During Winter Restaurant Week, which runs through Friday, you get to experience restaurants you may not have been able to otherwise because 31 restaurants in and around the Madison area are lowering their prices. You can get a three-course dinner for $25, with big enough portions to share. Thirteen restaurants are also offering a three-course lunch for $15, which is a great bargain for some amazing food.

You may not be familiar with some of the restaurants on the list because you won't find them anywhere outside of Madison.  As unique as they are, everyone will find a restaurant to love.

There's everything from French  to Irish, American to Italian, and even Peruvian high cuisine for your taste buds to enjoy.

The majority of the restaurants are downtown or on the Capitol Square, so many are within walking distance from campus.

If you're in the mood to grub on sizzling Churrasco (heaps of meat cooked on a sword over an open fire, a Brazilian specialty), head to Samba and the Cabana Room, both located off of State St. on Gilman St. For those of you who want to dine on the best the sea has to offer, The Blue Marlin and Ocean Grill are a few steps off the Square. Steak lovers will find paradise at the Capitol Chophouse and Johnny Delmonico's, also off the Square. 

The Square also boasts Madison's famed French-inspired L'Etoile, locally sourced Harvest, and Irish mastery at Brocach. On State Street, Tutto Pasta Trattoria Bar e Cafe and Zander's Capitol Grill showcase their finest creations.

If you're willing to try something off-campus, the west side of Madison also has many options. If you are looking for an alternative to mac ‘n' cheese, try Lombardino's or Biaggi's Ristorante Italiano. Those of you into fun foods like chocolate chip cookie dough eggrolls will love Bluephies. Ready to eat something incredibly different? Try Mediterranean restaurant The Dardanelles, French hotspot La Brioche True Food or the brand-new Kickshaw.

There are also restaurants on the east and south sides of Madison and in suburbs Middleton and Fitchburg, all of which are on the busline. For the complete list of restaurants, visit www.madisonrestaurantweek.com. No special tickets are needed, but reservations are highly recomended.