Cold War Kids try to control craft

When Cold War Kids released Loyalty to Loyalty in the fall of 2008, it was met with mixed reactions. There was no doubt the group had changed its tone since their first full-length album, 2006's Robbers & Cowards, but reviews wavered on whether these changes were any good. A common critique was that the band's tempo had slowed, giving them a more low-key sound. Those who deemed this a positive transformation will be pleased with the group's latest release, Behave Yourself EP. Those who thought otherwise  won't be as thrilled.

Even if you're pleased to hear Cold War Kids are keeping calm, don't assume the EP is perfect, because it definitely isn't.

""Audience"" is the clear standout track on the release, but it still leaves something to be desired.  The group tries to combine the sharpness of their first album with the subtlety of their second. The end result is respectable but not impressive.

There's no momentum to the song, leaving you with no reason to keep listening. ""Audience"" is the first track on the EP and should lure the listener in, but instead it leaves them indifferent about whether to stay tuned. It's good, but it's not enough. The song offers hope for what the group's future work could sound like, but not certainty.

This lack of momentum continues in the remaining four songs. It's as if the only way Cold War Kids knew how to calm their music down was to the slow the tempo. Because of this the album falls flat: there's no buildup or climax. It's just five slower Cold War Kids songs in a row.

Whether it's appreciated or not, the EP indicates Cold War Kids have pulled on their musical reigns. Loyalty to Loyalty hinted at this change, and Behave Yourself EP made it official. It seems as though, for better or for worse, this is the type of music that can be expected from the Southern California group.

For those who loved Robbers & Cowards, this doesn't have to be bad news. As great as the vocals of lead singer Nathan Willett can be, there were points when his bellowing vibrato crossed the line between powerful and abrasive. He's figured out how to use his voice within the context of the band's whole sound, showing musical maturity. This is the new style Cold War Kids have taken on, and they're not half bad at it. They're simply trying to control their craft.

Have Cold War Kids refined their craft too much? It's possible. The five songs are just as, if not more, tame than what the group has released before. But if you keep an open mind when listening to the EP, you'll see that this new energy level is something Cold War Kids do fairly well and is likely depictive of what the band will offer in the future.

When it comes down to just the EP, Behave Yourself EP is simply OK. Cold War Kids are still adjusting to their calmer ways. They have found that their sound on Robbers & Cowards was too big, and their sound on more recent work too small. Perhaps on their next album, a balance will be struck and the result will be just right.