Poverty support at risk in recession

shelters: Downtown Madison?s Grace Church, operated through Porchlight, is one of many homeless shelters experiencing the funding crunch in the recession.

Poverty support at risk in recession

As the bitter chill of winter weather and a tough economy settles over Madison, the social service agencies people depend on for respite are facing their own challenges. Declining donations and budget cuts to the Dane County Department of Human Services are forcing service providers to make difficult cuts at a time when demand for their services is rising. 

""We've reached the tipping point,"" said Linda Ketcham, executive director of Madison-area Urban Ministry, an interfaith coalition that provides social services with aid from county funding.

The county budget cuts affect programs from prevention, to treatment for illness, poverty, homelessness, abuse and other social issues. 

Without the funding to accommodate the growing population seeking services, Ketcham said she anticipates long waitlists.

""We can serve our existing population half as well, or we can continue the same quality and bury people on a waiting list. Either way people suffer,"" she said. ""But if you keep diluting your services eventually you reach a point where you just have the illusion of services, and we're not willing to go there."" 

County budget cuts

The 2.83 percent cut to the county's human services trickled down to almost every social service agency the county funds, according to Lynn Green, director of the Dane County Department of Human Services.

Green said while this year's budget cuts aren't bigger than years past, the effects could be worse because the services have already exhausted cost-saving measures. 

""If you have reductions year after year, it gets harder to take the reductions,"" Green said. ""You've already done the looking for creative ways to save money."" 

Ketcham said that in the past social services coped with budget cuts by placing more work on their current employees, but this year's constraints will force them to lay off workers. 

""There's a certain point where you can't ask industries to provide the same level of services,"" Ketcham said. ""We're at that point."" 

Ketcham said the cuts will even affect organizations that aren't funded by the county.

""It's going to hurt everyone,"" Ketcham said. ""Even agencies that don't get county funding rely on referring to other agencies that do ancillary services.""

County Supervisor Kyle Richmond, District 27, proposed a vehicle registration fee increase in October that would repair the budget gap, but the board voted it down.  

County Supervisor Jeremy Levin, District 6, said he voted against the fees because it would be a short-term fix for a long-term problem. 

""We were hit from the recession and it filters down,"" Levin said. ""Things haven't turned around yet and I don't think anyone thinks we're out of the woods.""

Ketcham, who supported the registration tax, said people should look at funding for human services as an investment in the infrastructure of society. 

""Are we willing to invest in people in the same level that we're willing to invest in development? It's about strengthening the infrastructure in terms of our citizens.""

Donations down

As cuts to county funding intersect with the growing need for those services, agencies are turning to private donations to make up the difference.

Despite a 2 percent reduction in county funding, the Salvation Army hopes to expand its shelter services to meet the increasing demand. Planning to provide 1,000 more shelter nights, its organizers are hoping to bring in more money through their Christmas Campaign, employing many new strategies to encourage donations. 

""We're a very old, traditional organization, but all of a sudden we've come screaming into the 21st century,"" said Ruth Ann Schoer, Salvation Army development director.

For instance, this year The Salvation Army has set up credit card readers at five of their kettle donation stands and an ""online kettle."" They have a new Facebook page, an e-newsletter, and people can even donate via text message. 

Despite these efforts, Schoer said donations are down from last year, five percent for kettles and slower than usual for mail donations as well.

Schoer said the Salvation Army plans to lay off two employees in January—the disaster services coordinator and a secretary. If budget constraints worsen, she said they will have to look at cutting programs. 

But Schoer sees a silver lining in volunteer numbers, which she says have stayed steady. 

""I think people are saying, ‘I don't have as much money this year but I want to do something to help, so I'll give two hours and ring bells and do my part that way,'"" Schoer said. ""And I think people are also realizing how fortunate they are to have their homes and jobs so they want to help others.""