Honorable Mention - The Notwist

There is something to be said about slow and steady. The Notwist will no doubt have a poor showing in any artist of the decade lists, but they still deserve recognition for being a pinnacle of steadfast quality and craftsmanship in music. The six year gap in between their first release, Neon Golden, and the experimentally orchestrated The Devil, You + Me only serves to underscore the quiet mystique around the band. Before the recording of the elegiac and pensive Neon Golden, the Notwist found footing in myriad genres, each one providing a new perspective that found its way into this decade.

The Notwist's dedication to their sound is truly what sets them apart from other musicians. In translating lyrics from German to English, singer Marchus Acher breathes new life into old words. His phonetic annunciations echo a melancholic ghost in the machine, one yearning for a world beyond all the electronic sounds that move seamlessly from ear to ear, an aural experience that most don't even know exists. The Notwist precariously straddle the line between analog and digital, organic and inorganic. In this balancing act, we hear all of our experiences in this newly wired world, and the loneliness that accompanies all the connections.

For the Notwist, their notoriety (or lack thereof) comes from what they represent. They embody the idea that music is more than just rock and roll—it's an art form. In a decade dominated by garage rock, the Notwist prove there is still a benefit to making the perfect mix, finding the perfect word and hitting the perfect rhythm.

EN-US"">