Honorable Mention - Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career

More often than not Camera Obscura is written off as a ""chick group,"" which is an absolute shame considering the brilliant music they create can be appreciated by far more than chicks.  Their 2009 release, My Maudlin Career, is a prime example of this. While the band didn't conquer any new ground for themselves or music as a whole with the record, they still managed to release arguably their best record yet. 

The album contains two of the group's strongest singles, ""French Navy"" and ""The Sweetest Thing,"" both comprised of the upbeat, whimsical melodies Camera Obscura has made themselves known for. Unfortunately, the two gems hold the first two slots on the record. This sets the bar a little too high, and the rest of the record doesn't quite measure up. This isn't to say the other nine tracks aren't perfectly enjoyable, but they're up against two heavyweights, a fight they simply cannot win. Had Camera Obscura put the two songs at different spots in the lineup, there's a good chance these two songs wouldn't cause an issue, and My Maudlin Career would be in the top 15 albums of the year where it belongs.