City prepared for snow, UW cancels classes

SNOW: UW-Madison cancelled all classes Wednesday due to a declared ?snow emergency? for the city.

Due to the impending blizzard and wintry weather conditions forecasted for late Tuesday and Wednesday, the city of Madison declared a snow emergency Tuesday evening, and UW-Madison cancelled all classes for Wednseday.

The city, university and county will close all non-essential services until Thursday, Dec. 10.

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said in a statement that only the city's essential and emergency services would be in operation on Wednesday.

""We encourage residents to stay safe at home for the duration of the blizzard,"" he said.

Gov. Jim Doyle also declared a state of emergency for all 72 counties in Wisconsin. The Wisconsin National Guard will be on hand to assist if necessary.

The Madison Police and Fire Departments, Dane County Sheriff's Department, Dane County Highway Department and 911 Center will all continue to operate as usual. The Madison Streets Division will provide ""around-the-clock"" snow plowing and salting operations.

Two Madison public health clinics are also cancelled for Wednesday, including the Madison South Clinic at 2202 S. Park St. and the Madison East Clinic at 2705 East Washington Ave.

Appointment-based H1N1 clinics in Middleton, Stoughton and the East Washington offices are all cancelled, as well as the HIV testing and counseling clinic.

The impending blizzard conditions caused a slew of cancelled meetings, including the Madison Common Council, which did not meet Tuesday. They were scheduled to decide the fate of the Edgewater Hotel appeal, but that will now be delayed for another week.

""By the time people leave the meeting, maybe around midnight, conditions could be at their worst,"" Cieslewicz said in his blog. ""In addition, there will be citizens who wish to speak at the meeting who will not come out due to the weather … it wouldn't be either wise or fair to go ahead tonight.""

Alternate side parking restrictions will also be in effect throughout the entire city. The snow emergency will likely be in effect until 7 a.m. on Thursday.

Madison residents should remove all vehicles from the street if possible, a city statement said. Parking will be available for free in any cashiered section of city-owned ramps in the downtown area from 9 p.m. until 7 a.m.

Residents who must park on the street on Wednesday evening should be parked on the even house numbered side of the street.

Violations of the alternate side parking rules are punishable by a $60 fine. Cars could also be towed.