HE'S IN: Barrett announces run for governor

tom barrett

After months of speculation, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett announced Sunday he will join the 2010 gubernatorial race.

""It is time to pull together to create jobs and get our state's fiscal house in order,"" Barrett said at a press conference at his home. ""That's why I'm running for governor.""

The announcement comes three months after Barrett gained statewide recognition for intervening in an attack outside the State Fair grounds. The incident left him with a severely fractured hand and head injuries.

Barrett's decision to run makes him the only major Democratic candidate in the race. Kevin Conroy, a Madison biotech executive, is still considering running. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin said they are pleased to have a viable candidate.

""Our Republican counterparts are divided, but right now Wisconsin Democrats are united and strong,"" the DPW said in a statement. ""We are more than confident that Wisconsin will have an exceptional Democratic candidate on the ballot who can lead our state into the future.""

Although there are multiple Republican candidates, including former congressman Mark Neumann and Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker, the Republican Party of Wisconsin said they were not worried by Barrett's announcement.

""I like our chances in 2010,"" RPW executive director Mark Jefferson said. ""These are times when people want aggressive leadership, and I think Tom Barrett offers more of the same.""

Jefferson said ""more of the same"" means higher spending and taxes, citing what he considers to be Barrett's ""far left"" record. The RPW has taken to referring to Barrett as ""Tom the Taxer.""

John Fleming, a member of Barrett's campaign, said he rejects the claim that the mayor is too liberal to have statewide appeal.

""I don't think that he has run the city of Milwaukee with any partisan point of view,"" he said.

At the press conference, Barrett said the main focus of his campaign will include solving the state's economic crisis.

""The problems we confront are complex,"" he said. ""This campaign will be about solutions—real and serious solutions—not slogans.""