Sunday, June 16, 2024
NUP_136560_1538
THE OFFICE -- "Niagara" Episode 604/605 -- Pictured: (l-r) Ken Kreps as Minister, John Krasinski as Jim Halpert, Jenna Fischer as Pam Beesly -- NBC Photo: Byron Cohen

The JiMichael paradox

If you're a fan of ""The Office,"" you've had a tumultuous couple of weeks. Two weeks ago we got ""Niagara,"" the long-awaited wedding of Jim and Pam coupled with some of the best B-plots the show has had in years—no room for Michael at the inn, Dwight's ravenous lovemaking and Kevin's ""conversation-starting"" Howard Hughes footwear, to name a few. Last Thursday, we got a weak ""Look what Michael did"" show about mobsters. All the supporting players got wrapped up in the goofy mafia plot, and Jim and Pam were absent on their honeymoon—in fact, the only bright spots were their brief appearances with various characters on the phone.

In a week's time, we may have seen the best and worst episodes ""The Office"" has ever had.

What happened? Clearly the writers have figured out how to write an hourlong show—""Niagara"" showed immense progress in writing and pacing compared to some of the way-too-long episodes from season four. Why were the 22 minutes of ""Mafia"" so hard to fill with laughs?

Granted, we're coming off the high of an episode fans have been waiting for since the series began—it was always going to be a tough act to follow. But ""Mafia"" exposed the big problem the show's writers have created for themselves: A good episode of ""The Office"" episode needs both Jim and Michael. Jim is the perfect straight man, and Michael is his fool. Without the back and forth they have as Jim mocks Michael relentlessly, episodes lose all their energy and momentum.

The writers capitalized on this fact earlier in the season when Jim pursued a promotion in the office, leading to his current status as ""co-manager"" of Dunder-Mifflin Scranton. Jim making fun of Michael's antics from his desk was good; forcing the two of them together to make big decisions needs to be made better. Their newly tightened relationship has the potential to keep them joined at the hip for many gags to come—I look forward to the first time the pair have to present anything to David Wallace together.

But as the writers lean on ""JiMichael"" for all the best laughs, they forget about the bit players elsewhere in the office, giving them less and less to do and say. And if ""Mafia"" is any indication of the material they can come up with when they can't write for their new dynamic duo, I fear for the future of anyone in the supporting cast.

However, ""Niagara"" showed promise for other characters if the writers can get off their JiMichael crutch. Pam's nursing of Andy's scrotal injury was one of the best moments of the episode—maybe Pam could play the mom to Andy, Kevin and the other childish officemates as her maternal instincts start to take root. The Kellys (Kelly and Erin) are the single ladies in the office, so why not send them on a girls' night with Pam and Phyllis awkwardly tagging along?

""The Office"" has really rallied back after a few lackluster seasons, and now is no time for the writers to run out of original ideas. As much as I enjoy Jim and Michael, it's time to give the other characters some quality time in the spotlight.

Mark has found in his experience that being a manager does make you say stupid things. Complain to him about your idiot boss via e-mail at mriechers@wisc.edu.