Successful business students offer tips, advice for hopefuls

The UW-Madison Office of Corporate Relations hosted a panel of successful student entrepreneurs Wednesday to offer advice to UW-Madison business hopefuls.

Four former and current UW-Madison students discussed their love for athletics and how they were able to turn their passion into successful businesses while maintaining academic and extracurricular responsibilities.

A question-and-answer session following the introductions gave students interested in the fields insight on how the four students were able to succeed.

According to Kara Kabellis, a former UW-Madison soccer player with a degree in political science who started her own T-shirt business in 2009, the key is patience.

""It takes a lot of time and effort, but it's definitely worth it in the end,"" she said.

Michael Garson, a junior in the UW-Madison School of Business who co-founded Badger Trips, said he believes the best advice is to start as soon as possible.

""Do it now, do it tomorrow,"" he said. ""Start getting your resources as soon as possible, and don't let anyone tell you you can't do it.""

Garson's company provides transportation and hotel accommodations for UW-Madison away games.

He emphasized the importance of networking. He said his business is based on making strong connections and having ""good people skills"" for negotiating contracts.

Travis Blomberg, a junior majoring in political science, also spoke at Wednesday's event.

Blomberg created the Striped Officiating Agency, an organization that provides officials for sporting events.

Erin Byrd, a UW-Madison MBA student and a former starter on the volleyball team, began her business, Mission Volleyball, in 2007. The organization hosts volleyball camps for children across the country.

Byrd emphasized the idea of going with your instinct.

""If you feel there's an opportunity out there, there's a good chance there is,"" she said.

All four speakers agreed that great professional success comes from a balance of hard work and a desire to follow what you are passionate about.