Offense returns in double-overtime victory

lorenz: Scott Lorenz helped the Badgers break their long scoreless streak with a pair of goals against Michigan State, including a game-winner.

Senior forward Scott Lorenz scored two goals for the Wisconsin men's soccer team, including the game-winner in double overtime, helping the Badgers end a four game winless skid with a 2-1 victory over the Michigan State Spartans Sunday at the McClimon Soccer Complex.

After the Badgers allowed an early Spartan goal, Lorenz evened the game in the fifteenth minute. Ninety minutes later he ended it, as the Badgers improved to 3-5-2 overall this season. With the loss, Michigan State fell to 6-4-1 overall and remained winless in the Big Ten at 0-3-0. 

Wisconsin came out and set the tone with aggressive offense from the start. However the Spartans struck first when junior midfielder Jeff Ricondo found the back of the net on an unassisted twenty-yard strike in the sixth minute. The early goal, combined with the Badgers recent scoring troubles, could have doomed the squad, but Lorenz and the offense hit back just eight minutes later.

Redshirt freshman defenseman Danny Ahlering, making his first start, initiated the play with a clear out from the behind the mid-line. The clear found senior midfielder Brandon Miller, who found Lorenz streaking down the middle of the field. Lorenz got behind the defense and slipped a shot by the keeper to the upper right corner, ending the Badgers' scoreless streak at 313 minutes.  

""Scoring a goal is always a good feeling,"" Lorenz said after the game. ""But there was a little special feeling with that, just getting the weight off everyone's back, especially the defense's back because it's hard to keep shutouts.""

The defense performed admirably for the remainder of the contest, turning away a Michigan State offense that had a good number of scoring opportunities. One shot, a rocket from the top of the box, got by senior goalkeeper Alex Horwath, only to be stopped on the goal line by fellow senior defenseman Brian Bultman.

""We talk about that every week in practice,"" said Horwath. ""Be ready on the posts. It shows that willingness and that discipline to stay in your position in the right time, and it saved the game.""

Wisconsin appeared to tally the game winner with just under ten minutes remaining in regulation, but an offside call negated the goal.

After a scoreless first overtime period, Lorenz again made a run down the middle of the field, gathered in a pass and beat the keeper for the game winner.

""I got an unbelievable service from [junior midfielder] Johnny [Rzepka], and was fortunate enough to get a toe on it,"" said Lorenz.  

Wisconsin jumps right back into action on Wednesday night, with a road game against UW-Green Bay. With the season now more than half over, Lorenz noted the importance of finishing strong. 

""The whole week we've been talking the start of the second half of the season,"" he said. ""Nothing in the past means anything and we're trying to win every game we play in the second half.""