Monday, June 17, 2024

New faces in the Madison bar scene

The Pub

The Pub, formerly known as ""The Pube,"" underwent an ambitious makeover this summer. The result is a respectable establishment that now boasts high-definition televisions and cushioned seating instead of picnic tables, but maintains plenty of dart boards, pool tables, open space and relatively cheap drinks.

To those that never braved The Pub previously, a quick glance at patron comments about the formerly dingy dump on the Yelp provide a helpful contrast:

""This isn't your typical dive bar. This place is about as gross as it gets.""

""I'd rather drink a glass of the short & curlys than to hang out in this bar. ""

Suffice it to say The Pub has altered its image and clientele significantly.

Closings and Suspensions

The Ram Head Ratskellar met its untimely demise this summer following a month-long suspension by the Alcohol License Review Committee. Not surprisingly, their high-tech ""look at the camera while we take a picture"" ID check system did little to curb underage drinking, and the establishment thus incurred the wrath of the effervescent and ever-vigilant ALRC.

Owner Richard Lyshek said because of financial issues and shifts in drinking habits that the bar may never reopen. To those who enjoyed a debaucherous game of hammering nails into a log, all may be lost. But if you still want to drink beer by the boot, you can always traipse across the capitol to the Essen Haus.

The Kollege Klub, which aside from its typically casual interpretation of underage drinking managed to cover up an assault that occurred at their establishment by ""accidentally"" taping over the video evidence, had its license suspended as well. But athletes and their hangers on can rejoice, as the bulk of the suspension occurs over winter break.

Like Ram Head, Madison Avenue suffered a license suspension for the month of July, but it has since reopened and is still Madison's favorite place to find the latest and greatest in the STD market. However, look for some changes over the course of the year, as they are approaching the ALRC  in October with plans to revamp the venue.

Johnny O's avoided suspension, but they are sporting new ID scanners.

Late-night Food

All the staples of late-night feasting have made it back for another school year, thank goodness. Ian's, Taco Bell, Qdoba, D.P. Dough, Asian Kitchen (and now A8 China as well) can satisfy your desperately intoxicated need for thousands of calories.

Jin's Chicken and Fish owner Jeff Okafo has apparently weathered the angry Madison City Council, but his decrepit cart looks all but ready to implode into a heap of debris in front of Memorial Library. However, Okafo has struck a deal with JD's cart, which will sell the chicken and fish sandwiches in addition to their regular menu.

The latest arrival to the late-night fray could be a game-changer, however. Fat Sandwich Company rests on the ruins of the ill-conceived calzone dump Loveshack. Loveshack's demise was as inevitable as the Wisconsin winter, and its replacement has a menu as intriguing and palatable as it is artery-clogging.

Its premier sandwich is The Big Fat Ugly, because that is how you will start to look if you think about eating one. This sandwich costs about $25 and is the size of a football, including the following ingredients: two rolls, four cheeseburgers, double cheesesteak, chicken cheesesteak, gyro meat, grilled chicken, bacon, sausage, mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers, chicken nuggets, mac n cheese bites, fried mushrooms, jalapeno poppers, pizza bites, onion rings, hash browns, mini corndogs, American cheese, mayo, ketchuppoppers, ketchup and the obligatory French fries served on every sandwich.

The menu includes a smattering of other familiar sandwiches, except they've done everything in their power to all but secure an FDA hazard warning for how fat-drenched and caloric they are. Ever wondered what a hamburger with Krispy Kreme donuts for buns would taste like? Wonder no more.

The food is delicious, but if you make a habit out of Fat Sandwich Company in your time at UW-Madison you risk being confused for the Badgers offensive line.

Weird Art on State

Right outside State Street Brats sits the latest effort in City of Madison art. The statue of a family of pissed off badgers and four boulders, which represent the lakes surrounding Madison, have garnered more than a few befuddled stares, but people generally seem satisfied to have their picture taken with the sculpture anyway. It's different, but it's also undeniably an improvement over the phallic statue of footballs on the southwest side of Camp Randall Stadium.