Bowling bar, restaurant moves forward

michael hierl segredo: Michael Hierl, owner of the new bowling bar Segredo, pushed his venue at a public information session Thursday.

Bowling bar, restaurant moves forward

The creator behind Segredo, a new restaurant and entertainment facility set to replace Madison Avenue, held a public information session Thursday to allow community members to tour the space and engage in discussion about the redevelopment. 

Michael Hierl, owner of the project and a UW graduate, said he knows his concept for a boutique bowling lounge is ""pretty darn bizarre,"" but he argued that this sort of establishment caters to a specific need in Madison. 

""Every college town in America is looking for alternatives to vertical drinking space,"" Hierl said, referring establishments like bars where the main focus is drinking.

The session included a tour of the property, as well as a question-and-answer session for people to voice opinions and concerns.

Katherine Plominski, the city's alcohol policy coordinator, said she believes sessions like these help raise awareness for people in the neighborhood.

""The community can get more of a behind-the-scenes look,"" she said.

Segredo, which means ""secret"" in Portuguese, will offer bowling, Brazilian arcade games, reasonably priced food and a full-service bar.

Chef Ryan Dionne will oversee the food operation of the facility. The menu will offer many tapas style dishes.

Hierl said he wants to provide food and drinks at a reasonable price.

""We want to encourage people to order a lot and share,"" he said.

Jon Okonek, owner of Madison Avenue and Johnny O's, said he thinks Segredo will benefit both the community and the university. Okonek will not own Segredo, but will remain the agent for the liquor license.

The restaurant and bar will be open seven days a week.

Hierl said he hopes to attract more business by opening at 5 p.m. during the week, potentially drawing an after-work crowd. He also reiterated that the comfortable, lounge atmosphere would be the main focus.

""We aren't just selling alcohol anymore,"" he said, stressing the restaurant's purpose. 

""I'm doing this to create an entertainment center that can be an anchor of this community in a few years,"" he said. 

Segredo will open in early January, pending approval from the Alcohol License Review Committee and Common Council.