Proposal would eliminate lieutenant governor, secretary of state positions

The state Senate Committee on Ethics Reform and Government Operations held a public hearing Wednesday to consider proposals to abolish the positions of lieutenant governor and secretary of state.

The resolutions, proposed by state Sen. Alan Lasee, R-De Pere, would effectively eliminate the positions through amendments to the state constitution as a cost-saving measure.

According to Lasee's spokesperson Jennifer Esser, the state currently spends $2,336,600 per year funding the two positions.

""[Lasee] thinks this is just a good way to streamline the state government,"" Esser said.

The lieutenant governor is next in line if the governor is unable to serve and serves as acting governor when the governor is out of state.

The secretary of state maintains the official acts of the state Legislature and governor and affixes the state seal to all official acts of the governor.

Democrats currently hold both offices.

""[Lasee] has been introducing both of these [amendments] since the late '80s,"" Esser said. ""This is not a pointed partisan attack.""

Esser said Lasee was ""very grateful"" to committee Chair Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, for holding the hearing and hopes people will consider the measures seriously.

The proposed amendments must pass both the Assembly and the Senate twice in addition to a popular vote by Wisconsin citizens before being enacted into law.

""The people will have a say in this,"" Esser said.