Chancellor Martin preparing for future

This past Friday, the Daily Cardinal Editorial Board had the opportunity to meet with Chancellor Carolyn ""Biddy"" Martin to discuss some of the university's most pressing issues. With a year under her belt, Martin is due for some of the first appraisals of her job performance, most of which is tethered to the Madison Initiative for Undergraduates. But considering how much the Madison Initiative is dependent upon the future, most of the conversation looked ahead.

Concerning the Madison Initiative directly, it appears that the main course of Martin's administrative plan is just about ready for the oven. The financial aid portion has already been earmarked, but decisions need to be made concerning where the additional funding will go for faculty and student services. Martin states that the expansion of required classes is one of the more important parts of this funding. But at the same time the Madison Initiative will allow the administration to address certain gaps in scholarship, including those in the humanities.

It is on the topic of the humanities that Martin seemed most enthusiastic. Being a product of the humanities herself, the chancellor clearly wants to make sure they don't just fade into obscurity in that giant concrete bunker on the corner of Park and University. Even at a time when the poor economy seems to make engineering and business look much more practical, Martin insists that the humanities serve a very important purpose both intellectually and culturally. According to Martin, preservation of the humanities is not simply an economic issue, it has a greater purpose.

While the chancellor states that the ""year of the humanities"" goes beyond economics, that doesn't mean it can go on without solid economic backing. Every time someone wanders through the Humanities Building and a cockroach scurries by, the university's commitment to the humanities comes into question. If the university is really committed to the humanities, it needs to put its money where its mouth is, simply promoting a new image won't cut it.

Martin didn't simply focus on UW's academic future, however, as she also shares the concerns of many about the university's diversity. She mentioned taking a hard look at the efforts of Plan 2008, and said the program's revamped successor will be unveiled soon, as diversity on campus is far from where it should be. She also mentioned the current programs UW has in place to work with K-12 students to address problems of diversity at the basic core level, a philosophy we find sound and practical.

The chancellor revealed a candid side when the conversation turned to the upcoming governor's race. Martin knows very well that who is governor matters––not necessarily what party they are from, but the person in charge is important. She acknowledged that the university has been used as a ""political football"" and hopes that a healthy relationship with the governor's office and the legislature will minimize that, a relationship that can start with the university possibly hosting debates and other gubernatorial events.

It is encouraging that Martin is committed to reaching out to students. Open communication helps keep both the student body and administration working together amicably We hope that this line of communication she has established will lead to the university's success, but until then we will have to wait and see what the future holds.