The NBA Finals, MLB All-Star Game highlight the dog days

I don't think I'm alone here when I say that most UW students don't enjoy the week after Mifflin. Reality sets in quickly and I realize what an absurd amount of reading needs to be done to make up for a semester of relentless procrastination. But while the idea of finals sounds nauseating, the week after Mifflin is also a week closer to summer, an amazing time to be a sports fan. This summer offers another exciting schedule, so here's a preview of some top events to look forward to in the summer of 2009. 

The NBA Finals 

The Cavaliers and Lakers are still the clear frontrunners to take the court in early June. Both teams dominated in their opening round appearances and will have home-court advantage in their respective conferences leading up to the finals. The matchup of Kobe Bryant and LeBron James has star power written all over it, so I'd be surprised if NBA Commissioner David Stern isn't secretly rooting for these teams to go head-to-head in early June. 

Still though, there are still plenty of other impressive teams remaining that could still pull an upset and challenge either of the No. 1 seeds for the title. In particular, the Nuggets have been spectacular after acquiring guard Chauncey Billups, a missing piece the team desperately needed. The Rockets enjoyed a superb second half of the season, took down an excellent Blazers team and have already shown the Lakers they're ready to battle with a win in L.A. on Monday night. Lastly, Dwight Howard continues to carry the Magic, while the Celtics are still hoping they can hold on in time for superstar Kevin Garnett to return from injury. 

MLB All-Star Game 

I was fortunate enough to be in the stands for last year's All-Star Game, the last at the old Yankee Stadium. The American League squeezed out a 4-3 victory in a wild 15-inning affair. The game really showed that when it comes to MLB All-Star Games, anything can happen. By the last inning, both teams were dangerously low on available pitchers, and just barely avoided another bizarre tie game like the one that occurred in 2002. 

The result of this was a new rule proclaiming that the winner of the game would own home field advantage in that prospective year's World Series. Whether you're an advocate of this rule or not, you have no choice but to pay close attention to the game's outcome. It could have huge implications for your favorite team come October. 

Tour de France 

Let's be honest here—unless you're a diehard cycling fan, you're probably watching this event for one reason only: to witness the comeback of Lance Armstrong, a story that just might be intriguing enough to amass a large audience. 

Armstrong captivated Americans with seven straight Tour de France titles from 1999-2005 after battling cancer. Armstrong retired after his 2005 victory, but returned to competitive cycling last January. He says he wants to continue to raise awareness for the fight against cancer, and also prove he has won his titles in clean fashion despite several doping allegations targeted against him in recent years. Armstrong broke his collarbone several months ago, but recently returned to training, and this could set the stage for a dramatic reappearance in the 2009 competition. 

Horse Racing 

Each event finishes in less than three minutes, but horse racing season is another exciting event for any sports fan enjoying a lazy Saturday afternoon in the summer. Horse Racing has not had a Triple Crown winner since Affirmed did it in 1978, which makes us wonder when another horse will ever achieve this great feat.  

Last Saturday at the Kentucky Derby, surprise 50-1 longshot Mine That Bird came out victorious after 3-1 favorite I Want Revenge was an early morning scratch. It may seem unlikely, but how amazing would it be for a former 50-1 horse to be the one who actually completes the Triple Crown? I don't know about you, but that's definitely something I'd like to see. 

So enjoy a summer of sports—a time filled with entertaining mainstream sports as well as some alternative events that deserve more recognition. If following sports has taught me anything, it's that part of the thrill of watching lies in the fact that each event is completely unpredictable. 

Any other events you're looking forward to this summer? Let Matt know at mfox2@wisc.edu.