Staying in Madison this summer? Check out our top 10

Although some people go home for the summer or spend the three-month break working or traveling abroad, some people are lucky enough to spend the summer right here in Madison. Take advantage of all Madison has to offer and try out a few things on this list of fun downtown happenings. 

1. Memorial Union Boathouse

Just because school is over doesn't mean entertaining times at Memorial Union have to end. You can still enjoy a cold pitcher of beer and local music acts at the Terrace, but the Union also offers a number of opportunities to go beyond the iconic sunburst chairs. Students, faculty and staff can rent canoes, boating and camping gear, and water sport and outdoor game equipment for reasonable prices at the Memorial Union Boathouse. Check out www.union.wisc.edu/ODR for rental items and rates. 

Location: The north end of Park Street on the shore of Lake Mendota, adjacent to Memorial Union at 800 Langdon St. 

Hours: May 23-July 26 11 a.m. to sunset; July 27-Aug. 16 10:30 a.m. to sunset; Aug. 17-Sept. 7 10 a.m. to sunset 

2. Johnsonville World's Largest Bratfest

Bratfest is just as important to Madisonians as the Packers and cheese curds are to Wisconsinites. Every Memorial Day weekend people flock to the Bratfest and eat a world record-setting number of brats (191,712 last year, to be exact). Second and even third helpings are encouraged, as brats, hot dogs and Boca brats sell for just $1.50. All proceeds go to local organizations. 

Location: Willow Island at the Alliant Energy Center, 1919 Alliant Energy Center Way 

Dates: May 22-25 

Hours: Friday, Saturday, Sunday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Monday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. 

3. Dane County Farmers' Market

Shake up your normal grocery store routine and check out the fresh produce, meat, cheese, baked goods, specialty goods and flowers at the farmers' market. The DCFM is the largest producer-only farmers' market in the country, with about 150 vendors in attendance every Saturday. The market also features arts and crafts vendors and street musicians. Check out www.dcfm.org to see what products are in season for summer.  

Location: Capitol Square 

Hours: Saturdays 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.; Wednesdays 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. 

4. Maxwell Street Days

If you love shopping on State Street, then you'll love Maxwell Street Days, the annual summer sidewalk sale featuring over 100 vendors. From clothing boutiques to shoes and jewelry, the bargains found at Maxwell Street Days simply cannot be beat. Several State Street restaurants also join in on the fun to refuel you on your shopping spree. If you're serious about shopping, try to go on Friday or early in the morning to get the best deals before they're gone. 

Location: State Street 

Dates: July 17-19 

Hours: Friday and Saturday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

5. Madison Mallards Baseball 

If you miss the fun of Badger sports in the summer but don't feel like traveling to Milwaukee for a Brewers game, head to a Mallards baseball game. The summer collegiate team plays teams from Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan and Canada. For a true Mallards experience, make sure to get tickets in the Duck Blind, the all-you-can-eat-and-drink party deck in right field. 

Location: The Duck Pond at Warner Park, 2930 N. Sherman Ave. 

Dates: June-August (check www.mallardsbaseball.com for game schedule) 

6. Ella's Deli & Ice Cream Parlor 

Ella's is one of the most interesting places to grab a bite to eat in Madison. The restaurant is full of knick-knacks and animated displays to entertain you during your meal. With a 20-page deli menu and a 12-page dessert menu, Ella's is sure to have something to suit your taste buds. Aside from the unique décor and tasty cuisine, Ella's is known for its carousel in front of the restaurant, which is open for rides in the spring, summer and fall. 

Location: 2902 E. Washington Ave. 

Hours: Sunday-Thursday 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Friday-Saturday 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. 

7. Mad-City Ski Show 

Since Madison is located between two lakes, you'd expect the city's water sports teams to be exceptional—and the Mad-City Ski Team definitely is. The team performs free weekly shows on Lake Monona during the summer. The junior team, consisting of younger and newer members, performs first, followed by the whole team showing off their most exciting stunts. With four national championships under their belt in the last five years, the Mad-City Ski Team's show won't disappoint. 

Location: Law Park, 402 E. Washington Ave. 

Dates: Every Sunday at 5:30 p.m. from May 24-Sept. 6  

8. Art Fair On the Square

Every summer, over 500 artists from across the country showcase their work in Madison at the annual Art Fair On the Square. Organized by the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, the event also features live entertainment and food vendors. Art Fair Off the Square, which features Wisconsin artists only, is held the same weekend on Martin Luther King Boulevard.  

Location: Capitol Square 

Dates: July 11-12 

Hours: Saturday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

9. Rhythm & Booms 

Typically held around the Fourth of July, Rhythm & Booms is the largest fireworks display in the Midwest. Nearly 15,000 shells are fired during the 35-minute show, which is choreographed to music on WOLX-94.9 FM. Try to get to the park early, since nearly 300,000 people come to the event. Otherwise, you can catch some pretty good views of the fireworks from the Memorial Union Terrace or James Madison Park. 

Location: Warner Park, 2930 N. Sherman Ave. 

Date: June 27 (June 28 rain date), fireworks begin at dusk 

10. Henry Vilas Zoo

The nearly century-old Vilas Zoo is one of the few free-admission facilities accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. From South African meerkats Stan and Groucho to the Siberian tiger Cyber, species from all over the world are housed here. You can even see what a real badger looks like at Vilas—minus the red and white-striped ‘Motion W' turtleneck. 

Location: 702 S. Randall Ave. 

Hours: Open daily 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.