Major League Baseball commissioner to speak at graduation

Bud Selig, the commissioner of Major League Baseball, will be UW-Madison's 2009 spring undergraduate commencement speaker, campus officials announced Monday. 

Selig will speak at all four of the university's undergraduate commencements May 16 to 17 at the Kohl Center.  

Selig was born in Milwaukee and earned his bachelor's degree from UW-Madison. He served two years in the armed forces, after which he returned to Milwaukee to work in the automobile business. 

Selig has served on the boards of visitors of UW-Madison's La Follette School of Public Affairs and the Department of Political Science.  

Two annual awards are given in honor of Selig, one given by the Professional Baseball Scouts Foundation and another given by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics and the John McLendon Minority Scholarship Foundation. 

Two of the undergraduate commencements will take place Saturday, and two will take place Sunday. Another commencement Friday will honor those receiving honorary, doctoral or professional degrees. The commencements, which are each approximately one and a half hours long, will be webcasted on the university's website.  

Transportation for the event will be provided by free shuttle bus service between the Lot 17 ramp at Camp Randall and the Kohl Center. Buses will run every 10 to 15 minutes. 

To view the commencement, students, family members and friends can visit www.wisc.edu.