Larger crowds, fewer arrests at Mifflin 2009

Larger crowds, fewer arrests at Mifflin 2009: Justin Dehling, one of the over 13

Even with larger crowds and more beautiful weather than previous years, the 40th annual Mifflin Street Block Party saw significantly fewer problems and arrests, which authorities are attributing to official sponsorship of Saturday's event.  

About an hour after the party ended, police had arrested 140 people, mostly for alcohol-related violations. Of these, only two were taken to jail, while the rest were cited and released for minor offenses. Last year's Mifflin saw 440 arrests, with 63 people taken to jail.  

""So far this year I believe the event is positive,"" Captain Richard Bach of the Madison Police Department said mid-day Saturday. ""Things are running very smoothly, and there have not been any major problems."" 

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he was ""thrilled"" with the overall results of the block party, in which he organized efforts to help find an official sponsor.  

""All the feedback I got from partygoers, residents and city officials was hugely and overwhelmingly positive,"" Verveer said. ""I think the fact that we had a sponsor and that the police had organizers to work with contributed greatly to the police having a more chill attitude toward the event."" 

DCNY PRO and WSUM student radio partnered up to receive last-minute sponsorship for the event. The sponsors, who contributed more than $6,000, provided a music stage, food vendors and portable toilets.  

Verveer also said police made the decision before the party that only in very limited circumstances would they arrest an individual for having a plastic cup or can of beer on the sidewalk.  

""That made a huge difference,"" Verveer said. ""It just goes to show that many of the individuals arrested in the last few years were arrested for having beer on the sidewalk.""  

Police also posted signs at entry locations listing ground rules in order to inform students of ways to stay out of trouble.  

Additionally, police also changed their procedure as to what happens during an arrest. Instead of arrested students being transported to the police headquarters as in previous years, students were brought onto one of four designated Madison Metro buses to be issued a citation.  

John Anthony Mulqueen Jr., a sophomore at UW-Madison, said he felt the police were slightly more lenient at this year's event.  

""The police do seem to be respecting the fact that the students cherish this tradition of going to this school,"" Mulqueen said. ""It serves as a reminder for us to realize that we have to be respectful to the city and the campus itself.""