Walker expected to announce run for governor

Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker, a likely GOP candidate for governor in 2010, is expected to announce his candidacy next week. 

Walker's campaign sent out an announcement Monday to publicize a series of events throughout the state Tuesday, April 28, in which Walker will make a ""special announcement."" 

His campaign office did not return calls as of press time to specify the nature of the announcement, which will be made five days before the Republican state convention. However, Walker is a presumptive GOP candidate and will likely announce his candidacy next week, according to the Associated Press. 

Another likely Republican gubernatorial candidate is former U.S. Rep. Mark Neumann, R-Wis., who ran against U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., in 1998. Jim Klauser, former top aide to former Gov. Tommy Thompson, sent out an open letter Monday saying out of all the prospective candidates, Neumann ""is best able to win and govern well."" 

Meanwhile, Gov. Jim Doyle has yet to announce a bid for re-election. 

""The governor is not focused on politics right now,"" Doyle campaign spokesperson Mike Edmondson said. ""He is working hard to preserve education, health care and public safety without raising taxes on average Wisconsin families at this point.""