UW-Madison continues commitment to success

The University of Wisconsin-Madison continued its pledge to provide students with the opportunity to explore new avenues of learning with three important decisions in the past week. History and Engineering department curricula will be augmented with the addition of several new professorships, while an agreement with Tikrit University in Iraq will expose students to academic resources halfway around the world.  

During my five years here in Madison, I have been pleased to see the university's dedication to continuing its academic success. Whether through the construction of a new facility, the renovation of the observatory or the addition of a controversial course on 9/11, UW-Madison is serious when it comes to academics.  

If an opportunity presents itself that could serve to enhance the student body's educational experience, the UW is quick to take action. 

In 2006, despite a whirlwind of controversy generated by the decision, the university allowed Kevin Barrett to teach a course on Islam. Barrett, who is often labeled a conspiracy theorist, decided to dedicate one week during the semester to the September 11 bombings.  

The controversy erupted, however, when it was discovered that Barrett planned to lecture about the U.S. government's involvement in the event. 

Even under the pressure of national media syndicates, UW chose to stand by Barrett's syllabus. An internal probe said, ""Although Mr. Barrett presented a variety of viewpoints, he had not discussed his personal opinions in the classroom."" 

Barrett's response to an attack by Fox News' Sean Hannity was indicative of this mindset. ""I'm not interested in making students regurgitate anything,"" Barrett said. ""I'm interested in training people how to use critical thinking skills to look at the evidence in any area and come to their own conclusions."" 

It is important that we give due credit to UW for its willingness to expose students to a wide variety of viewpoints.  

Last week, Biddy Martin signed an agreement with Tikrit University officials that opened another educational door for UW students. The Iraqi university serves over 12,000 students in a remote agricultural region 100 miles north of Baghdad. 

The agreement will benefit UW students as well as our Iraqi counterparts by using videoconferencing to help expose students to broader perspectives and fresh ideas from halfway around the globe.  

Iraqi universities have suffered recently with the turmoil that followed after the 2003 American invasion. Countless professors have fled the country, and students have limited access to academic materials. This partnership will help strengthen both UW and Tikrit University's commitment to academic advancement.  

The engineering department inked another monumental agreement last week as well. Vestas, the world's leading producer of wind-power technology, signed the long-term agreement with the university in hopes that it will help stimulate technological advancement through research in the field. 

As many as ten undergraduate and graduate students will receive funding to conduct wind technology research within the department. Visiting scholars will also join the program, and new professorships will be created to help study alternative energy methods in the future.  

The History Department also announced the establishment of the long-awaited Ambrose-Hesseltine chair in American history. UW-Madison alumnus Stephen E. Ambrose donated $500,000 in the late 1990s to help establish the professorship in American military history. 

Major John Hall was hired to fill the post after spending the last few years working for the Future Warfare Division of the Army's Training and Doctrine Command in Virginia. The West Point and UNC-Chapel Hill graduate will help students understand the role of the military in modern society through his courses.  

Although the agreements set forth in the past week may not have caught the eye of media outlets like the Barrett case did, UW's commitment to academic advancement remains, and the future looks brighter than ever. 

Tom Hart is a senior majoring in history. Please send responses to opinion@dailycardinal.com.