Brian Butch

Former Badger Brian Butch was one of two late additions to the Bucks summer league roster who will participate in their four-day camp starting Thursday.

‘Polar Bear’ breaks ice overseas

To say that Brian Butch's first year out of college has featured some traveling might be a bit of an understatement. After all, the 6'11"" Appleton native has been to Orlando, Memphis, China and Germany, all in the hope of purusing a career in professional basketball. 

Butch ended his career at UW 13 months ago and led the Badgers to the Sweet 16 his senior year. One week later, he was plunged into the process of turning pro. 

""I played in an All-Star game at the Final Four, and then the weekend after that was [the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament],"" Butch said. ""As soon as school got over with, I went down and started training and working out for the draft."" 

The next few months saw him pick an agent, finish up his studies and receive his master's degree.  

Butch showcased his skill to a number of NBA teams, including Boston and Memphis, but went undrafted. He did, however, use the weekend of the draft to take a break and return to Appleton.  

""Draft night was, it was just one of those nights that you sit around, you watch,"" Butch said. ""It was nice to come home and we actually kind of had a cookout, just so I could see my family and my relatives, because I hadn't had a chance to see them because I was so busy prior to that."" 

Undaunted, Butch played for Memphis' summer league team, but when he was not invited to an NBA training camp, his attention turned overseas.  

""The first time when I figured [out that I was going to go overseas] was when my first agent, he was telling me that I'd get into a training camp,"" Butch said. ""And as things kept on unfolding I realized that a lot of what he was telling me wasn't true. At that point I kind of realized that, you'd have to go overseas and play."" 

Playing basketball in foreign leagues has become a popular option for players who finish their time in U.S. colleges. Former Badgers Mike Wilkinson, Zach Morley, Michael Flowers and Greg Stiemsma are just a few Wisconsin graduates who are making a living playing the game they love across the pond.  

Butch did drop his first agent, and in November joined the Jiangsu Dragons of the Chinese Basketball association. He played only two games, however, before he was let go.  

The experience taught him a lesson about the gap between college and professional basketball. 

""You quickly find out and learn that this is a business now,"" Butch said. ""As fast as you get somewhere they can let you go, you learn that very quickly. But also, for me at least, it was an opportunity to take in some things and see some things as well as playing basketball in different parts of the world."" 

But the first rejection did not deter Butch. Less than a month later he was in Germany, and after tryouts with two different teams, he signed with the Giants of Nördlingen, a town in Bavaria.  

In Germany, there came a bevy of new challenges. He was joining a team that had been playing together for the whole season, on which most of the players already had their defined roles.  

""That by far was the toughest thing I've had to do as far as basketball goes, I'd have to say ever,"" Butch said. ""You have a team with all these [players] who have worked together for a while. They have their little niches, they've played as a team. And to be thrown into it, it's definitely a tough thing to do, but I'm glad that I did it because, like I said, it's a business and it happens a lot."" 

Butch said the team provided him a car and apartment but that he is without some of the amenities he enjoyed in Madison.  

""There's definitely a lot of things that you take for granted when you're in college,"" Butch said. ""Just the little things, like you have to bring your own water to practice, you have to tape your own ankles at times. Some teams don't have trainers."" 

Adapting to life in Germany took a few weeks for Butch, but he was helped by advice from American teammates and finding a surprising number of English speakers.  

Despite hearing stories of American players who put down roots and raised families in foreign countries, Butch is not giving up on the hope of an NBA future.  

""I think the goal is of course always to get back to the U.S.A. and play in the NBA. I think that's everyone's dream still,"" he said. ""But if that doesn't work out, a lot of people over here make a lot of good money and a good living playing basketball overseas, and I think people underestimate that as well, too.""