Number of Dane County homeless rose in 2008

The estimated homeless population increased 17 percent last year in Dane County, but the effects of the recent recession on these numbers has yet to be seen.  

According to new data obtained by Madison's Community Development Block Grant Office, the total estimated homeless in Dane County jumped from 6,410 in 2007 to 7,529 in 2008. This is the largest homeless population since 2003, and homeless children and parents outnumber single men and women for the first time since 2002. 

The data also show nearly half of the area's homeless were turned away without shelter last year. Nevertheless, the number of homeless served in shelters increased from 3,432 in 2007 to 3,894 in 2008.  

A survey conducted by the CDBG shows the varying reasons for each subpopulation seeking shelter in Madison. The most common reason for families and single women seeking emergency shelter was ""violence or threat of violence."" Single men reported they were seeking shelter most often as a result of ""no or low income."" For homeless youth, ""conflicts with family/roommate"" was mentioned by nearly 75 percent of those seeking emergency shelter.  

Interestingly, the number of single men served, who were most likely to report financial troubles as their reason for seeking shelter, decreased slightly last year. Sue Wallinger, CDBG grants administrator, said the poor economy has not yet had an influence on the numbers of homeless in the Madison area.  

""People assume that when the economy gets bad, the homeless numbers are going to go up,"" Wallinger said. ""I think there is that potential, but right now I think the people that we're seeing is the people we always see, the people who have been poor for a long time.""