Cardinal trumps White in spring game

Wisconsin's spring practice season culminated Saturday with the spring game, where Cardinal defeated White, 56-20. 

On offense, Cardinal moved the ball methodically down the field with nearly every possession. Cardinal used a balanced attack with junior Zach Brown and sophomore John Clay, combining for 172 yards on 26 rushing attempts, and the quarterback combination of freshman Curt Phillips, senior Dustin Sherer and junior Scott Tolzien compiling 293 passing yards. 

Cardinal began the scoring with a 12-yard touchdown pass from Sherer to senior tight end Garrett Graham on an out route. 

In White's lone highlight of the game, sophomore linebacker Tony Megna intercepted a Sherer pass and returned it 24 yards for a touchdown. 

It was a pass both Sherer and Bielema were disappointed about. 

""We cannot beat ourselves,"" Bielema said. ""That throw came out late … You cannot have those types of situations from our offensive players."" 

Sherer was also frustrated with the interception but felt he responded well to his mistake. He finished the contest with six completions on nine attempts with one touchdown pass and one touchdown run. 

""It's disappointing, but you have to bounce back,"" Sherer said. ""Stuff like that's going to happen, so it's all about how you respond to it."" 

After Cardinal scored again on a 10-yard touchdown run by Sherer, freshman Curt Phillips entered the game for Cardinal halfway through the second quarter. 

Phillips marched his team down the field on his first drive and reached the end zone on a 13-yard touchdown scamper. 

After a three-and-out by White, Cardinal and Phillips once again drove down the field and reached the end zone, this time on a 13-yard touchdown pass from Phillips to junior tight end Lance Kendricks on a flag route. 

Phillips, who had the benefit of playing with the first team offense against the second team defense, finished the game with 10 completions on 16 passing attempts and 36 rushing yards on five attempts. 

Phillips was recruited by Wisconsin as a scrambling quarterback, but his performance through the air Saturday impressed Bielema. 

""I knew that [Phillips] could do things with his feet, but to see what he did in the passing game made a big statement to me,"" Bielema said. 

Phillips, who said he must continue to develop his ability as a pocket passer, feels he benefited from sitting out last year as a red-shirt to gain experience with the Wisconsin offense. 

""It's not even close to how I feel a year ago,"" Phillips said. ""I just feel so much more comfortable with [the offense]."" 

On the ground, Brown and Clay each averaged over five yards per carry. Brown, who sunk to third in the depth chart last year behind Clay and P.J. Hill, made an impact on Bielema Saturday. 

""He's physical, he's strong, he's into it. I know everyone wants to focus on John Clay, but [Brown] really brings durability to the position,"" Bielema said. 

On the defensive side of the ball, Cardinal accumulated six sacks, including two from senior O'Brien Schofield. And sophomore defensive back Devin Smith added an interception late in the game. 

In the receiving game, Kendricks caught three passes for 56 yards and two touchdowns. Sophomore wide receiver Nick Toon had four receptions for a game-high 62 yards, and sophomore Aaron Henry, who normally plays defensive back, took some snaps at wide receiver and had four receptions for 39 yards.