Badgers welcome Gophers to Goodman

Badgers welcome Gophers to Goodman: Junior shortstop Katie Soderberg had four RBIs against Ohio State.

Badgers welcome Gophers to Goodman

After nearly earning a win over Big Ten leaders Ohio State Sunday, the Wisconsin softball team will try to end its 10-game losing streak when it faces rival Minnesota Wednesday. 

The Badgers fell to the No. 14 Buckeyes 6-5 in an extra inning after taking a 5-1 lead, thanks in part to four RBIs from junior shortstop Katie Soderberg. Soderberg said although the team is frustrated with blowing the lead against Ohio State, they want to carry over that strong play into Wednesday's series against the Gophers. 

""It's a little bit of a moral victory to know that we should have beat [Ohio State] and could have beat them and they're a really good team,"" she said. ""It builds my confidence, and I'm sure it builds my team's confidence going up against all these other pitchers from other teams knowing that we can beat them."" 

Head coach Chandelle Schulte echoed Soderberg's sentiment, saying the team's improvement was evident against the Buckeyes and that its next mission is to convert that potential into wins. 

""We have been playing a lot better lately, but it's hard to see that without the wins,"" Schulte said. ""We have been hitting the ball well this past week, and hopefully the momentum from the weekend's games against Ohio State can carry over to this week."" 

The second game of their series against the Buckeyes was also important for the Badgers because it showed a reversal of a troubling offensive trend: Wisconsin managed just five runs combined in the nine contests before the April 18 game. Playing with a lead was a critical change to improve the team's psyche. 

""It was definitely important,"" Soderberg said. ""It's a whole new attitude. We felt like we were in control of that game."" 

Replicating Soderberg's production against the Buckeyes will be important if the Badgers want to continue their stronger offense and end the losing streak when they take on Minnesota. According to Soderberg, the secret to the offensive improvement was being a more aggressive hitter– something she will try to continue in the future. 

""I need to approach every pitcher like I did that game,"" she said. ""I was going to be aggressive, I wasn't going to wait until I was down in the count, I was going to jump on the pitcher early and I was going to swing the bat … and the outcome was nice."" 

Soderberg said she and the rest of the team will need to continue that offensive execution against Minnesota on Wednesday, saying that being aggressive will be a key to beating the Gophers.  

Aside from the desire to take their first win since April 1, the team will have extra motivation because it is taking part in the Wisconsin-Minnesota ""Border Battle"" rivalry. According to Soderberg, the rivalry is just one more factor that makes the team hungry for a win against the Gophers. 

""It's always in the back of our heads. We know it's that much more important to win tomorrow,"" she said.  

Wisconsin and Minnesota will face off Wednesday at 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. at Goodman Diamond.